PDA

View Full Version : Techniques to stop ground crew pushing back with brakes ON

Mo Heekan
6th Oct 2002, 13:24
Hi all,

I would like your constructive feedback on pushbacks and how to prevent groundcrew attempting to push the a/c back with the brakes still set. I have just had such an incident, which although not serious, could have been nasty. In this instance, he did not wait for confirmation that the brakes were released.

We normally rely on SOP's as a guide to prevent most things going wrong. These are great if you both speak English as your first language, but this was not the case here.

Your ideas would be appreciated to prevent this happening to me again.

Kind regards

Mo

Jet II
6th Oct 2002, 15:10
Sounds like the guy on the headset needs more training - did you report it to his supervisor?.

I know that at many stations the guys who do the headset are not trained aircraft mechanics - so therefore need precise training in the role. I would rather someone told me when I did something wrong, than let it go and then something more serious occurs.

411A
6th Oct 2002, 15:30
Mo Heekan
If at a down route location (or any location where you suspect a problem with communication), have a word with the lead engineer before/during pax boarding to confirm signals/phraseology they use/expect.
Works for me anyway.

Hew Jampton
6th Oct 2002, 15:57
if you both speak English as your first language, but this was not the case here.
Might be worth backing up the headset transactions with standard visual signs. Open the DV window on the headset man's side (should be commander's side anyway, but you can't guarantee it), and use the clenched fist/open palm signals throughout and constantly. For belt and braces, ensure on the turnround that the headset man/woman understands the standard signals.

Mo Heekan
6th Oct 2002, 18:57
My thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I did inform the guy that he must ensure that he doesn't assume the brakes are off. As humans, we all make mistakes, but I don't want it to happen again to me, so thanks for all of your tips. I'll put them into use, so fingers crossed :)

Regards

Mo

Flight Detent
7th Oct 2002, 09:20
Hi guys,
Yep, the Fe's usually do that where I come from, together with other things such as calling the N1's rotating, and confirming the order of the start sequence.
Works for me!

Cheers

Young Paul
7th Oct 2002, 19:05
"Ensure that you don't assume that the brakes are off"

Well, to aid communication, you might avoid convoluted constructions like that!

;)

fireflybob
8th Oct 2002, 10:23
I never say to the Ground Crew "Clear Push...etc" until the brakes are released.

When I have received ATC clearance to push I usually say something like "Standing by on the brakes" to the Ground Crew - I then wait for them to say "Brakes Off", release the brakes and then say "Clear Push".

As has been said above, hand signals are also another cue.

Idunno
9th Oct 2002, 01:12
Mo, I'm pretty sensitive about this myself. Never had it happen to me yet so I might be getting it right.

Here's my tip.

Quite often you'll get pushback instructions from ATC which can distract both you and the ramp man into forgetting the brakes are still set. I make a positive practice of passing any such instructions first and finishing with the words..." and the parking brake is SET".

Don't use the word 'release' in any phrase (i.e. 'call for brakes release') unless the brakes ARE RELEASED.
Otherwise it can lead to misunderstandings.

Always use Standard Phraseology.
Speak Loud and Clear and SLOWLY...especially the words SET or RELEASED.

Don't rush. Be pedantic. If in doubt DOUBLE CHECK.

The same techniques apply to when re-setting the brakes after pushback is complete.

Oh...and don't forget to check the brake pressure gauge as well as just operating the park brake lever!

PS If you ever find yourself rolling backward, be VERY CAREFUL when applying the brakes to stop yourself.

GlueBall
9th Oct 2002, 02:30
That does happen now and then, usually where English is not well understood. I would feel a subtle nudge as the tug is trying to push, but when the brakes are set my jet just doesn't move and the driver will know that instantly and stop the effort. So it has never been a matter of great concern.

Young Paul
9th Oct 2002, 10:54
Glueball - oh, well, that's all right then. No problem if several tonnes of force is applied to the nosewheel strut when it is held in position, and the maintenance checks that have to be carried out when the shear pin fails are just for fun.:rolleyes:

Hew Jampton
9th Oct 2002, 18:17
PS to my earlier post and to back up Idunno's post: don't use ON and OFF, better (and standard) to use SET and RELEASED.

ModernDinosaur
9th Oct 2002, 18:57
Forgive me if what I say is stupid, but I'm only a GA SEP pilot so a "pushback" is something I've only ever come across on those treasured jump-seat rides.

If the tug pushing on the nose-wheel while the brakes are applied is such a great risk to the aircraft (and the statistics seem to suggest that it is), why is there not a clear set of "traffic lights" in the nose-wheel well visible to the tug driver and/or ground engineer? These should be linked to the braking system such that brakes applied == red light, brakes released == green light? The system could also be linked to any other critical systems, for example thrust-levers above ground-idle == red light, or even beacon off == red light.

Just a thought...

MD.

thermostat
10th Oct 2002, 03:04
MD, the Airbus does have such a light (amber) on the nose strut.

rr892igw
10th Oct 2002, 14:57
Here's my 5 cents worth:

The B777 has a light on the nose gear indicating the park brake level position(on/off) and another light indicating the brake system pressure(pressurize or not),they are different in colour.
My SOP only ask us to put the brakes on when a/c come to a stop to shut engines down then look for the ground crew to confirm chocks in and release the brakes.So the brake is on for 1 minute.Prior to push back,if the brakes have been released since arrival,there is no reason to set it as chocks should still be there(There's one thing to look for during external walk around check)
If the ground crew removed the chocks,they'd have had the tow truck connected with truck's brakes set.If the a/c moved that's not your problem.
We operate to places where the only word that grond crew say is "OK",DO NOT switch on the anti-co light till push back clearence received and brakes RELEASED.The very second he sees the red light,he pushs back!!!
Cheers.