PDA

View Full Version : Parachute needed please!

niknak
5th Oct 2002, 22:10
OK, bit of cheeky one this, but does anyone know where I can get hold of a parachute that is no longer air worthy/useable for the purpose of saving life after leaping out of a serviceable aeroplane?

Mrs NikNak works with children who are less able than the norm', and they've recently established a course to develop the childrens sense of perception/touch and spatial orientation. The person who developed the course recommended the use of a parachute, suspended from the ceiling, and other groups have found it works very well, (don't ask me how - but it does).

They can't afford to pay for the parachute, but I'd be more than happy to collect it and chip in a few quid for the Xmas beer tasting session. Some press publicity may even be possible, although I can't make any guarantees, aside from the fact that the group, and the kids would be very grateful.

Email me or post a reply if you can help.

Thanks.

QNH 1013
6th Oct 2002, 07:47
I've seen one used to decorate the roof at a party. I thought it looked quite good, however it was olive green. I'm told it was bought from a government surplus store for about £40. I'm sorry I have no idea which one, but a few Yellow Pages phone calls, or an internet search for surplus stores might pay dividends.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Oct 2002, 17:10
I suspect that you might get one cheaper in a backstreet army surplus place, but if you click on http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm and enter "parachute" in search - I just found green cargo chutes at £200 each and 3 colours of life-ex personal parachute canopies for £150 each.

I have met parachute games before when I used to be a scout leader, much fun to be had !

G

Ivchenko
6th Oct 2002, 22:06
Yaks tend to arrive over here with Russian 'chutes which are generally referred to as nappy sacks, reflecting their likely usefulness.

Try www.yakuk.co.uk - Mark Jefferies has probably got loads lying about.

Good Luck:)

criticalmass
7th Oct 2002, 01:43
Para Gear Equipment company in Illinois may have exactly what you are after.
Log onto their website and see what they have on special or as close-out items.

paragear.com/default.asp (http://)

Hope this helps. They are a good company to deal with, I bought a couple of complete parachute systems from them over the years. Overseas service really great!:D

Rallye Driver
7th Oct 2002, 09:14
Try Survival Equipment Services (SES) @ Kemble. Dell Hall is the man to speak to. I'm sure I've seen them advertise time expired canopies very cheap. They have a web site, but the email address is out of date, so it's best to phone. I saw them @ the Compton Abbas Yak Club fly-in , and they're very helpful.

RD

sennadog
7th Oct 2002, 09:51
Alternatively, why don't you try cross posting this thread on the Military Forum as they are more likely to know?

niknak
7th Oct 2002, 11:58
:D Thanks for the replies - things are progressing!:D