PDA

View Full Version : PPL Groundschool courses.

[u]
4th Oct 2002, 07:48
The classified section of 'Pilot' and 'Flyer' list some 5-day PPL groundschool courses. As I'm very interested in doing
groundschool 'in a week' (saves time etc :)) I would like to know
if anyone knows or has any experience with these people:

1) Reayair Ltd (Ramsbottom Bury)
2) Derek Davidson
3) PPL Groundschool from the BA Flying Club

Or can recommend any others ?

As I'm located in Holland, I've asked the Dutch CAA if it
is allowed to do groundschool in the UK and the actual
flying in Holland (so far no answer), does someone have
any experience with groundschool/flying in two different
JAA-countries ? Is it allowed ?

Cheers,

Julian
4th Oct 2002, 09:01
Ron Heyter in Bournemouth does a cobined grondschool and exams, you come away with everything passed bar the RT exam which he isnt licenced to undertake. I used him and can highly recommend him, I went off to CA with only the flying to worry about whilst others sat in their rooms at night studying!

I dont have his number anymore but if you ring the UK rep for UKFT/Rainbow Air who is based in England (look for advert in back of Flyer/Pilot) and he will have the number. Would post it myself but no flying mags littered around desk at moo....only work...:(

Circuit Basher
4th Oct 2002, 10:09
Ron Hayter used to do the ground school for Airbourne Flying Club when it was in existence - he did all my ground school and I can certainly say that he knows it very well!!

Derek Davidson is ex-CFI / owner for Airbourne and since he retired, he and his partner (Clare Guggenheim) do the ground school. Again, he's very knowledgeable and is CAA Examiner - has taken 000's through PPL training. Derek completed my PPL for me and did my skills test.

Don't know Reayair, but would say that if you go with either Derek or Ron, you'll get through your ground school OK if you can read / write / do sums!!! ;) :D

SKYYACHT
5th Oct 2002, 17:33
U,

I may be able to help you......e-mail me.

Blue skies

Saab Dastard
5th Oct 2002, 18:35
[U],

By all means do intensive groundschool courses, particularly if time is of the essence for you, but my opinion / advice would be to read and re-read the Thom or Pratt books. It will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Think also about how well you will remember information that you have "crammed" for the purpose of the exam.

After the first reading do the relevant exam in the PPL confuser, then after the second time do the exam again - see where you are getting things wrong twice, revise those topics (hopefully very few) and sit the exams.

Worked very well for me.

The only ground school that I did (and thought was money well spent) was on R/T.

Good luck.

SD

ps - please don't think I am against anyone who provides such courses!

Crossedcontrols
5th Oct 2002, 20:31
Derek Davidson is very good. I used hime for Nav and Met.
But I would agree with the other post with the addition of the the PPL confuser, if you read the books then go through the confuser, you can't fail. Do one a week no probs.
It's worth it in the end............. honest.
CC