PDA

View Full Version : Flying Training at Blackpool

baldwinm
3rd Oct 2002, 12:31
As I wish to shortly undertake some flying training to revitalise my lapsed PPL, possibly followed by CPL & AFI, I would be grateful to hear peoples opinions/experiences of the flying training organisations at Blackpool airport.

Thanks in anticipation

Circuit Basher
3rd Oct 2002, 13:46
I think doing my experience 3.5hrs training in G-BDIC (a DHC1 Chipmunk) in 1976 at ANT at Blackpool may hardly be relevant to the status quo, so shall not bore you with the details!

It was almost still in old money!!! ;) :D

gingernut
3rd Oct 2002, 16:29
Can't tell you much about the flying organisations, but recently landed (and departed) from Blackpool as part of my cross country qualifier. Staff in ATC were very helpful and encouraging. Maybe this refects upon the organisation as a whole!

long final
3rd Oct 2002, 17:48
I'm sure it would be hard to get unbias opinion, so I can't call mine that - but, I did all my training at Westair and have been very happy with them. They are not the cheapest at Blackpool, but the service is professional.

I would advise you to check schools well though, at least one has a pretty bad local reputation, but I only have that through the grapevine.

There are a few schools, see LINK (http://www.blackpoolairport.com/Airport_Comp.html) , and the ATC are very helpful and understanding towards students.

All I would add is don't pay any large amount up front unless ( and even then?? ) you are 100% happy with who you have chosen. You can always move.

Hope that helps.

Regards
LF

Holdposition
3rd Oct 2002, 19:34
Think this topic would open old wounds:

Firstly, the ATC at EGNH are very good and understanding (well most times) and the ppl visting the tower/app during their training will find it most enlighting:)

Various schools on airfield and I would suggest that a walk in, in turn will allow you to make your own mind up about the various fors and against. I fully understand what long final is saying about past history, however, all is not bad re the teaching at that school, in fact, quite a high standard. If one only pays for the training you have and no upfront fees then that puts things on a much more even keel and removes the fears.

Be careful at one of the schools as the old man will have your pants down quick as he can:) you have been warned.

Good luck!

baldwinm
4th Oct 2002, 09:04
Thanks for the help guys

Long Final - check your private messages

GearDownAndWelded
13th Oct 2002, 09:50
I also trained at Westair and would recommend them. A professional organisation with well maintained aircraft. I have many fond memories of G-KY (first solo, NFT, GFT) as well as a very long November day in G-LY on my qxc. I think most of the instructors I flew with have moved on now though, my training was in 1995-6.

long final
13th Oct 2002, 10:33
GearDown,

Also soloed and GFT'd in G-KY, still going strong - a friend soloed in her only last week. ;)

Regards,
LF