PDA

View Full Version : Piper Seneca propellers

pigboat
3rd Oct 2002, 02:30
I've a question for any Seneca pilots out there. A friend owns a Piper Seneca 200T and he is in the process of changing the props from two blade to the three blade type.
My question is, what can he expect by way of a performance change? I'm guessing there'll be an increase in performance on takeoff and climb, at the expense of a slight speed penalty in cruise. Has anyone any experience with this?
Thanks in advance.

ronnie123
3rd Oct 2002, 15:52
A/S Limitations:
Vne (Never Exceed): 187 KIAS
Vno (Maximum Structural Cruising): 165 KIAS
Vx (Best Angle of Climb): 78 KIAS
Vy (Best Rate of Climb): 91 KIAS
Vfe (Maximum Flaps Extended): 107 KIAS
Va1 (Design Maneuvering): 126 @ 4200 lbs

You should get at least this or similar data on the 3 prop A/C.

411A
3rd Oct 2002, 19:03
Usually...
When changing from two to three bladed propellors, takeoff airfield performance is slightly improved, and cruise speed is reduced. However, many times the difference is difficult if not impossible to measure.
One thing for certain...prop noise is reduced, especially if Q-tip props fitted.

pigboat
5th Oct 2002, 15:04
Thanks guys. I'll pass it on.

JEP
6th Oct 2002, 14:01
When we changed from a 2- to 3-bladed prop on our C177RG we experrienced the same - better T/O perfomance and about 5 kts slower in cruise.

Stan Evil
7th Oct 2002, 16:22
I fly both 2-blade and 3-blade Seneca IIs and IIIs. I haven't found any great difference in t/o or cruise performance BUT the 3-bladers seem more difficult to handle when asymmetric and, because of the extra weight ahead of the cg, they are more difficult to land well unless you have weight down the back to counteract this forward movement of the cg.

pigboat
9th Oct 2002, 02:01
Thanks Stan, that's just what he was looking for.