PDA

View Full Version : Nearest Tiger??

Monocock
2nd Oct 2002, 07:39
Can anyone shed any light on where I might be able to hire an AA5 Tiger in the south?

I keep being told how marvellous they are and before I embark on a hunt for one I would like to try and hire one for an hour or two to find out if what everyone says is true.

Also, if there are any owners who can give some good advice I would appreciate a private message at their convenience.

Who has control?
2nd Oct 2002, 07:43
I think that there are some at Biggin & also Cabair at Southend.

distaff_beancounter
2nd Oct 2002, 08:07
Monocock
I see that you are located in "South West UK", so where are your nearest or convenient airfields? There are plenty based at airfields all around London, but are you looking for one nearer home?

I fly AA5A/AG5As, & I seem to notice at least one of them at nearly every airfield that I visit, so there must be a lot about.

Have you tried asking the operators or ATC, at your local airfields? They can usually tell you who has a particular type for hire.

CallThatALanding
2nd Oct 2002, 09:20
Cabair at Biggin Hill have several Cheetah's and a Tiger. At least they did earlier this year when I was last there.

NovNov
2nd Oct 2002, 12:03
Southern Flight Centre at Shoreham have one. But its in the hanger in bits having got bent at Compton Abbas a couple of months ago :(

drauk
2nd Oct 2002, 19:04
Cabair at Elstree have them. The checkout procedure is more rigorous than moving from say a C172 to a PA-28 - as well as the normal checks (stalls, PFL's, slow flight, etc.) they want 5 hours total of dual time, at least in part because of the undercarriage arrangement.

I like them - visibility is good and they are more responsive than the small Cesnas and Pipers. On the downside, Cabair charge the same for a pretty old AA5B as they do for a modern and well equipped Archer.

Yankee
2nd Oct 2002, 20:40
The American Yankee Association (AYA) the International Grumman Owners club will be trying to help find a Tiger for this mailer to try out.
If anyone else here is interested in Grumman AA1's or 5's take a look at these web sites for more information.

www.aya.org

http://home.pi.be/~andre17

www.grumman.net.