PDA

View Full Version : Now you CAN validate your CAA licence for FAA priviliges!!

GoneWest
29th Sep 2002, 21:42
I wish I could take the credit for finding this - but Pete O'Tewbe has already posted it (though not in the best place!!).

"Intending to Fly in the USA 25 September 2002

To fly an N-registered aircraft in the USA requires the pilot to hold an FAA Pilot Certificate. The FAA does not issue validations of foreign flight crew licences. In the past, production of a valid ICAO pilot licence and current medical certificate to any FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) would usually result in the immedicate issue of a Temporary Airman’s Certificate enabling the pilot to exercise the privileges of a PPL in the USA. This practice has now ceased.

Prior to issue of the pilot certificate, the FAA now require the Authority that issued the licence to verify the authenticity of the licence, its currency and the validity of the medical certificate. This verification is done centrally by the FAA Airmen Certification Branch (AFS-760) in Oklahoma City. While appearing a simple procedure, for the UK it produces significant problems because of data protection legislation, medical condidentiality and the volume of requests for verification. In 2001 the FAA issued nearly 3000 PPLs on the basis of UK issued licences alone.

The UK CAA is working closely with the FAA and together we have agreed a relatively simple verification procedure. The attached UK CAA authorisation form http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1160.pdf must be completed by each individual and sent direct to the UK CAA. The FAA verification form must be completed and sent to the Airmen Certification Branch.

The FAA will then formally request verification information from the UK CAA who, upon receipt of the authorisation form SRG/1160, will reply direct to the Oklahoma City office, resulting in the issue of the appropriate FAA documentation to the individual. Both the UK CAA and FAA forms must be completed in all cases.

It is appreciated that the new FAA procedures may cause delays in the processing of paperwork for those intending to fly in the USA."

(AS Pete pointed out - there is a £15 fee to the CAA [not unreasonable considering the alternative]).

Evo
30th Sep 2002, 07:06
I'm getting totally confused by all of this :confused:

I have a JAR-FCL PPL(A). I'm going to America in about three months, and I'd like to fly when I'm out there - however, I've never flown in the USA before so I'm going to spend some time with an FI before heading off on my own (which makes my visit flight training?). Can someone who understands this spell out what on earth do I need to do?

Also, and this may be a really stupid question (I don't understand the FAA terminology - what's the difference between a Pilot Certificate and a Pilot Licence?), looking to the future I'd like to do the FAA IR at some point. I figure that requires a FAA PPL(A) first, and as I'm going to be spending some time with an instructor anyway (see above) it makes sense to do any extra. What else is involved? Exams?

Charlie Zulu
30th Sep 2002, 07:42
Hi Evo,

My understanding of this is the checkout you will be having will be part of a BFR. This does *not* count as training in the eyes of the FAA. This is due to the fact that you already have the licence you just have to validate it. If however you were to do an hour or more of training towards your IR (or night rating) then you would then require a visa.

In order to obtain an FAA IR you now require a FULL FAA PPL. This is *not* the FAA PPL that is based upon the validity of your JAR PPL. This will require you to sit the FAA PPL written exam, have flight training for the manouvers that us JAR/CAA PPL's don't have to learn for our PPL sylabus and then take the FAA flight test (including Oral Exam). You will also need at least a FAA Class 3 Medical. As you'll be training (the new manouvers) for the FAA PPL then I believe you will also require a visa - I'd check if I were you and start the process asap as it does take a while.

The reason for requiring a full FAA PPL in order to obtain an IR is that the FAA no longer issue FAA IR's with "US Test Passed" on the FAA PPL based on your JAR PPL.

I've found this out as I'm off to the USA next April for my FAA IR and FAA CPL. But I first need to pass an FAA PPL flight test in order to gain either the IR or CPL. They are going to train me for the FAA CPL standards straight away, but can't do the CPL flight test until I have done the PPL flight test. So it looks like I'll be doing the PPL flight test then in the afternoon (or next day) the CPL flight test... :)

There is no difference between a "certificate" or "licence". It is just that the FAA calls their licences "certificates".

Hope this all makes sense.

--
Charlie Zulu.

Lucifer
30th Sep 2002, 09:04
I take it that you don't need to fill out this form if one already has an airman's certificate?

My understanding of a certificate was that if was a validation of a foreign licence - but it is not really that important.

englishal
30th Sep 2002, 19:51
If you have an FAA PPL (Certificate) based on JAA PPL already then you *CAN* train directly for CPL with the correct visa. Then you can sit the CPL oral / ground and take the flight test, and be issued a FULL stand-alone FAA CPL without doing the FAA PPL first. Once you have the CPL you can add the IR afterwards, although it does make sense to get the IR first, and get instrument commercial privileges at the time of the CPL test.

If you don't have the FAA PPL IoBoJAAPPL then you have to follow the route described by CZ....

Cheers
EA
;)