PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the PPL in the US?

ChiSau
27th Sep 2002, 10:57
I'd love some advice please from the experts......

I started doing my PPL at the beginning of August this year and have tried to fly or study at every possible moment since, including taking two separate weeks off work to try and get on. Am now 40 hours through, 4 exams down (about to take 2 more) and have my first solo xc done.

I fly from an aerodrome within the M25 which seems to be beset by winds straight across the single runway during the earlier stages of my training and now mist that won't go away, depsite everywhere else being 25km viz with a high cloudbase. As a consequence I have to keep cancelling lessons and my progress is stalling.

I have been advise this morning by an aerodrome employee not to worry because "I started my nav in October and didn't finish until the following February because of the weather"!

Does anyone have a view whether it makes sense to either take my progress so far and try and finish off in Florida, or indeed, move to another aerodrome near London that might have better weather/more runways etc?

I am extremely keen to crack on and finish off getting my licence, so advice to "be patient" isn't really what I'm after! :mad: :mad:

All advice appreciated!

hdaae
28th Sep 2002, 13:04
Well...I instructed for a year in Florida, and generally weather wont stop you. Sometimes the tunderstorms can stop you for part of the day, but its nothing like here in Northen Europa.

I actually had a student from England(London) and she flew intensily for 3-4 weeks (she had past expirience) and got her PPL.

I have some of the same expiriences as you do with Norway.
Terrible weather that grounds me for weeks at a time (westcoast)
and it took waaaay too long to get my PPL.
In the time it took to get my Norwegian PPL, I got my COMM ME&SE IR+all the instructor ratings.