PDA

View Full Version : a question about aerobatics??

JmDt
26th Sep 2002, 19:50
Is safe to use glases during aerobatic flying or is better wearing contacs or getting laser surgery??

Fuji Abound
26th Sep 2002, 20:04
That probably depends whether they stay on, and if they dont how many spare sets you have to hand!!:D

stiknruda
26th Sep 2002, 20:45
Trying to be helpful!

If you have never experienced aerobatics, I suggest that you try some gentle ones with a safe friend or qualified instructor before rushing out and having your eyes welded or buying costly contacts. You may hate aerobatics!

If you have tried them and your specs fall off - then I suggest that secure them with elastic or learn to move the stick less aggresively.

Stik - an aerobatic pilot

TheKentishFledgling
26th Sep 2002, 20:47
I'm a contact lenses wearer, but once out of the two times I've flown aeros, I've worn sunglasses - no problem with them staying on.

tKF - a contact lenses wearer, but looking into alternatives (not laser)......

Ivchenko
26th Sep 2002, 21:15
Richard Goode managed OK - with a plaster over the bridge to hold them on.

But of course your first aero trips will be with a suitably experienced tutor so it won't be the end of the world if they fall off.

Enjoy:)

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 21:42
I remember seeing Patty Wagstaf doing it with shades on.

Tinstaafl
26th Sep 2002, 22:44
Mine stay on just fine.

Lowtimer
27th Sep 2002, 10:25
I've never had a problem, but I don't stray much beyond +5 and -1.5g. In an open cockpit aeroplane I would strongly recommend using a cloth or leather helmet, if not a bone dome - not only to these help hold your specs on but they also keep your headset attached. Some pople use microlight kit, others use the various soft & hard helmets compatible with DC headsets and others.

Do make extra sure you can reach your spare set though.

TKF - It's up to you, but if decide to spend a lot of time in open cockpits I'd suggest glasses instead of contacts, or perhaps a very good set of goggles over your contacts. It can be very dehydrating with a lot of breeze swirling around.

Ludwig
27th Sep 2002, 13:20
Croakies are the answer

JmDt
27th Sep 2002, 21:24
I talked with Ramon alonso (actual european aerobatic champion)
and he told me that the best is wearing glases so I only spect not to vomit!!!:)

LowNSlow
28th Sep 2002, 05:46
Sunglasses in an Aerobat no problem but that was very tame :D

See Patty (Wonderful) Wagstaff here http://pattywagstaff.com

I can't open the page cos our fiewall is a super "NetNanny":mad: but there used to be a video clip of her doing rapid rolls in her Extra. Watch the long hair experiencing +ve and -ve G. Marvellous. The lady is a class act.

BRL the comments I could add to your statement should be best posted on JetBlast or the late and lamented Afterburner :D :D

JmDt I hope you don't get sick and really enjoy the experience. What aeroplane will you be doing the aeros in? One of the CASA built Stampes perchance?

JmDt
28th Sep 2002, 10:02
Itīs possible (If I save some money) that I Will go next summer to the vitas lapenas flying school in lituania to fly the yak52 or su29

LowNSlow
28th Sep 2002, 11:01
JmDt sounds like fun. Don't forget to let us all know how you got on.