PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training for a U.S. citizen in Canada

shon7
22nd Sep 2002, 22:28
Might be posted to Vancouver as my firm wants to set up an office there. Still want to continue training (currently PPL, and some odd 200 hours).

Where can I find information about flight training in Canada for U.S. citizens? For those of you who have done it - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

fesmokie
22nd Sep 2002, 23:12
Try www.prowings.bc.ca This is a flying school close to Vancouver. They should be able to give you some answers. Good Luck.:cool:

SpinSpinSugar
23rd Sep 2002, 14:51
Lucky chap.

If you're in central Vancouver you'll probably find your nearest flight schools to be in Boundary Bay (www.czbb.com), which has a whole load of them. It's about a forty minute drive from downtown. It's also a short hop from there to Bellingham or Friday Harbour if you're in the mood for some N registered action.

A couple of schools I'm happy to recommend would be

Pacific Flying Club - www.pacificflying.com
Regency Express - www.regencyexpress.com

You also might like to look at

Pro IFR/VFR - www.proifr.com

I'm sure a quick call to any of the above would answer any questions you may have. Other local airfields with flying clubs are Pitt Meadows and Langley.

Good luck! SSS

ProfessorMCDU
25th Sep 2002, 20:50
There are several excellent places to obtain training here in Canada. And, our government won't treat you like a terrorist, demand a FBI security check, and make it nearly impossible for you to continue your career.

Have a nice day...

saudipc-9
28th Sep 2002, 18:51
Prof,
There is a reason they do all that and given the results not unreasonable. Perhaps abit OTT right now but it will settle down with time.

ProfessorMCDU
22nd Oct 2002, 18:25
"There is a reason they do all that and given the results not unreasonable."

Sorry mate. The current US policy is COMPLETELY unreasonable. Addtionally, it will affect Canadian pilots for years.

Imagine this. You need a Type rating for your up-grade, but you can't go to training because you don't have a type rating! Have you figured this out yet?

And for those of us lucku enough to be carrying a few T/R's around...What will the next piece of US policy be?

Again mate, my appologies, but NOTHING the US does which pertains to policy is considered reasonable!

:eek:

Ray Darr
22nd Oct 2002, 19:40
My two cents worth:

Two thumbs DOWN for Regency Express...they have a bad reputation in the industry, regardless how nice they try to make it look. Bad words have been equated to that operation, sadly. :eek:

TWO thumbs UP - WAY UP - for Pro (Professional) IFR. Don't know their Boundary Bay phone number (or their main YVR one for that matter) but check on line for them. That's a great operation headed by a sincerely enthusiastic, excellent, and knowledgeable owner...ask for John.
:)

You've been posted to one of the nicest cities in the world. Good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes!!
:D

saudipc-9
23rd Oct 2002, 12:39
Prof,
What would your suggestion be then, to avoid giving training to someone who will then try to murder as many people as possible? I was down in the US in last Dec to do my ATPL and had no problems at all.
Some type of screening is not unreasonable. If it was not done and another incident occurred what then would be the rammifications? Everyone would jump up and down shouting how the government failed to act.
Once you have the background check done I don't believe you need to do it again for subsequent training. Yes, it is a pain in the arse, but I for one am prepared to be patient for the better and protection of the masses.
Now if we could convince them to ban high powered sniper rifles;)

Chuck Ellsworth
23rd Oct 2002, 17:04
Prof:

Maybe you would prefeer that the USA become a haven for terrorists like Your beloved Canada huh?

Cat Driver:

Ray Darr:

I agree John is a real asset to the training industry, they don't come any better.

Cat Driver:

saudipc-9
24th Oct 2002, 09:56
Chuck,
Canada is NOT a haven for terrorists. That is a rather silly thing to say. Given that you live on the island I am rather surprized you would say such a thing.

Chuck Ellsworth
24th Oct 2002, 15:47
Saudipc-9:

I suggest you have a good look at Canadas immigration policies with regard to refugee claims, then check with the statements that are being made by top officials in the USA.

Canadas borders are considered as porious at best when it comes to undesireables entering Canada.

Maybe the heat has affected your thinking? I found that over 50 C thinking gets real fuzzy. :D :eek:

Cat Driver:

saudipc-9
24th Oct 2002, 20:32
Chuck,
Well if the comments are made by top officials in the US then by golly they must be right!!!:rolleyes:
Canada's immigration policies are no great shakes but the US has alot of gaps too. This when they extend the visa of one of the terrorists two months after that person had flown one of the jets into the WTC. How many illegal immigrants are there in the US? Millions!!! I spent abit of time in Texas and know a porious border when I see one!!!! They have no right to criticize Canadian policies when their own are seriously lacking.
To be honest both countries need to revamp policies and procedures. We have allowed far to many immigrants in with very shady back grounds and we are paying the price for it now.

50 C Yep and God I love A/C.:D

Chuck Ellsworth
24th Oct 2002, 23:46
Sau...

I spent a lot of time in Jeddah and 50 C was brutal.:D
You are of course right about the immigration thing, they both have problems.

C.D.

MLS-12D
27th Oct 2002, 23:01
Pretty ignorant post, Chuck. Shame on you! :(

To get back to the question posed by shon7: take a look at this Transport Canada website: www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/fore.htm

Also, here is where you can find a list of flight schools:
www.atac.ca/Learn_To_Fly/schoolindex.html#western

Hope this helps. B.C. is a beautiful place, enjoy! :)

P.S. For what it's worth, I too have heard bad things about Regency. No firsthand experience and I don't know the specifics, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

ProfessorMCDU
28th Oct 2002, 02:00
I agree that some form of screening is acceptable. But, the current policy is WAY overboard.

Simply, a professional pilot (Which are the one's I was talking about) attending a COMPANY sponsored training event, should not have to be subjected to this requirement.

gearupgone
28th Oct 2002, 02:22
In answer to the original question - A big thumbs up for PRO IFR. You can now do an FAA commercail there as well. Email them for information - [email protected] They have a excellent reputation.

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Oct 2002, 03:03
MLS-12D:

Ignorant?

Why would you call me ignorant for stating a well known fact.

Canada's immigration policies are porous to say the least, maybe you could have a look at how some of the other countries around the world screen anyone who show up at their immigration check points.

Try Saudi Arabia for a start.

You take care now. :D

Cat Driver:
:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no. :D

MLS-12D
29th Oct 2002, 17:02
Hello Chuck,

Your comment that the USA needs its current visa regime in order "(not to) become a haven for terrorists like (our) beloved Canada" assumes the following: (1) that Canada is a haven for terrorists; (2) that the USA is not; and (3) that the USA will not experience any problems if it tightens its borders.

There is little doubt that Canada has a considerable number of undesirables who are left more or less unmolested by the authorities (RCMP and CSIS asleep at the switch once again). However, we're nowhere near as bad as the UK. Further, we don't seem to have people sending letterbombs, or carrying out ramdom sniping, or blowing up federal buildings, etc.: all of which activities have been perpetrated by US citizens in the last few years (note that I didn't mention the anthrax thing, because we still don't know who is behind that).

While I am no supporter of our ridiculous immigration laws, I can't agree that any of your premises are valid. They are particularly objectionable because they implicitly support the common American belief that Sept. 11th was carried out by terrorists who came into the country undetected from Canada: a theory that was carefully investigated by the authorities and was found not the case.

Chuck Ellsworth
29th Oct 2002, 18:17
OK MLS-12D:

I agree, Canada has not slipped down to the level of the UK immigration problem, but does that change the slack policies that Canada has?

How about the guy the US immigration caught crossing on the Washington ferry from Canada with explosives on his way to LAX to blow up part of the airport?

Seems to me he is a radical Islamic terrorist who was part of a cell operating in Canada, in fact seems he made his explosives in Vancouver before crossing into the US. So what exactly is wrong with my premises?

You still have not convinced me that I am in fact " ignorant "

How about you and your views? Surley you must know Canada is a good entry point for anyone wishing to escape into the general population while our innefficient Government bureaucrats check them out as to validity of their regugee claims.

But of course we must not violate their "rights" hell no we just let them get back to work making weapons to kill us.

We just see things through a different perspective MLS-12D.

P.S.

Every time I arrive Heathrow or Gatwick I look around and think I have arrived in the wrong country. :D

Cat Driver:

MLS-12D
29th Oct 2002, 21:37
Chuck,

I gave up on the UK a long time ago, after they joined the EC and cast off their economic links to Canada, Oz, S. Africa and NZ (that's our thanks for standing by them in two world wars). Who knows why they prefer to chum up to the former Axis powers? :rolleyes:

Certainly there is the notorious example of that psycho on the ferry; but surely that solitary case does not mean that we are a haven for terrorists. I don't believe it justifies tightening the border between the two best neighbours in the word, which costs both Canada and the USA a lot of money.

MLS-12D

P.S. It is HUGHLY ironic that I'm put in the position of having to defend our crazy immigration situation. :D Personally I'm quite reactionary, and I have little sympathy for all of these people that we seem hell-bent on admitting to Canada.

Chuck Ellsworth
29th Oct 2002, 23:28
MLS-12D:

Yeh we are not that far apart in our opinions, the whole world is going to hell.

Having spent a some years flying all over the African continent and seen the terrible waste of people and natural wealth, it really makes me feel good to go to places like France and England and see them reaping the results of what they sowed, so to speak.

Canada is not far behind.

Later:

Cat Driver:

bcpilot
25th Nov 2002, 08:04
WOW!! What a great discussion and all started by a simple question!! nicely done....

countbat
30th Nov 2002, 02:49
Another immigration question. I have seen that is very easy for a canadian pilot to find a job in US(now is hard for everybody....talking about good old time). What about an US pilot to find a flying job in Canada? I see you guys have more openings than us per now. What are the legal procedures to get a job in Canada?....and how much likehood for a canadian company to hire an american pilot?

cyyz
19th Dec 2002, 20:57
www.durhamflightcentre.com

A tad far from BC. But in Oshawa(outskirts of toronto). cheap rent and cheap planes.

As for all the slander flying left right and center.

Canada - Yes, haven for many people. Mafia, terrorists etc.

US - No better, LOL @ Enron and other Scams.

People want globalization or someone wanted it, so now the world can go to "hell" as you all stated it.

Finally, does it matter if the person has a visa or not, hijack a plane and crash somewhere, not much skill any airline will do for the terrorist. LOL and now we pay 25$ per flight in Canada 'cause some moron wants to "add" security. Same security as before, same results gov't gets rich. LOL only MORONS are the politicians in the Canadian Government, no wonder 1/2 our provinces want to seperate.

cheers

gearuplightup
20th Dec 2002, 16:34
A funny thing happened at Detriot a few months ago, whilst attemping to gain access to the U.S.A. my wife, who quite often butts in when I am speaking, ( don't all wifes? ) butted in when I was speaking to the Immigration chap, she made quite a stupid error, assuming you want in! although in perfect innocence. I said to the chap " Is it o.k. if the parrot gets a visa as well" He asked if I had a parrot in my case, I said " no, she standing right here- look" He compleatly missed the joke, and after another id95 fiasco (we were trying to get to yyz) my wife also failed to see the funny side. next thing we were ushered into the side room, whilst they looked into the all the circumstances.
Whilst we were sitting there. Two Pakistani gents were asked up to the counter, they were smartly dressed, with pilots cases. That is what drew my attention to them.
The guy behind the counter said " So, let's get this straight, you want to enter the U.S.A. so you can go to XXX and buy a 737 aircraft for 1 million dollars, and then, fly it back to Pakistan. Is that right? " to which one of the gents said yes

See if you can guess what happened next!

:D

cyyz
20th Dec 2002, 22:36
You were detained another 24 hrs while your friends next to you were passed through?

Thanks for the story. =)

gearuplightup
24th Dec 2002, 11:33
Close! We got in ok, only to find our "buddies" slink out of the Airport. Off to get their pre-owned airliner no doupt, funny world at times :D

gearuplightup
31st Dec 2002, 02:02
Funny, all this talk about immigration policies. I do not think Canada has a bad one, sure, you will get a few bad ones in, but as far as the policy goes, it is pretty good. Here in the U.K. we just let almost anybody in, well, if you were just a normal, non religious fanatic, non criminal sort of a chap, then you would have no chance really, at least the Canadians are trying to attract decent people! The British seem to seek out the euro-thugs, and we allow radicals to demonstate in our capital city--with police protection.
Chuck, if you think you have landed in the wrong country, when you arrive in LHR then you have obviously never been to Birmingham U.K. BHX. as you would think you had landed much further east- in fact, when you walk out after immigration, well I better not say any more, but it is a shameful display of the british immigration policy, and don't expect to hear any english spoken. Hold your nose and barge through!!! or better still, get back out to the A/C gas up, and get the hell out of there!!!!

Happy Christmas to all, and seasons greetings

Chuck Ellsworth
31st Dec 2002, 17:03
Gearuplightup:

What we must do is insist that " ALL " the politicians and bureaucrats that force these immigration policies on us " must " live in the ghettos that the human vermin they allow into our countries make in our cities.

That should at least level the playing field somewhat. :D :D

What think thee, about that idea Gearup??

Cat Driver: