PDA

View Full Version : The right way to land an A321

Idunno
21st Sep 2002, 00:44
The training section here seem to teach brand new cadets on the A321 fleet to retard thrust when the auto callout tells them to.

The problem with this is that the auto call is only there to remind you to close the thrust levers in an auto land in order to be ready to apply reverse thrust (the auto thrust has already commanded idle from the engines no matter what the lever position is).

Now most autolands are carried out as part of a CAT II or CAT III approach. In low vis situations the wind is likely to be near calm. Therefore the RETARD callout is generally appropriate.

However, in non CAT II/III conditions (no autoland) I would suggest that the RETARD autocall is in fact a nuisance call. Especially so in gusty conditions, and especially on long bodied a/c like the A321.

I have seen numerous events where the new f/o comes over threshold at the proper speed and height, gets to 30ft and hits a positive gust. The autocallout RETARD occurs just as he starts to balloon. He closes the thrust levers! The result is we are left 30ft off the ground with no power on and the inevitable negative shear then occurs. At this point the newbie realises whats coming next (heavy landing) and pulls back on the stick to arrest his descent rate. Result...probable tail strike!
We've already had one.

Why do trainers insist on teaching 'performance' landings to new guys on long bodied types? If landing on a limiting RWY I could understand the requirement to be right on the Vapp or VLS at touchdown, but then I'll probably want that landing myself in bad conditions!
But when landing on a 10,000ft runway would it not be more prudent to teach them to ignore the RETARD callout and keep a little power on into the flare? To fly it on, instead of this 'chop and yank' technique that they are shown?

Am I seriously mistaken?
Opinions welcome.

thermostat
21st Sep 2002, 02:45
Very interesting topic.
In gusty conditions a late "retard" seems reasonable.

I made note of the auto pilot's landing technique and copied it.
The aircraft approaches at about a 3 degree nose up attitude, the thrust levers go to idle by 30 ft, at 15 feet RA increase the nose up attitude to 6 or 7 degrees (from 3 degrees) and lock it there (except for wing down into the wind if necessary). Always a good landing.

Something else to consider is the fact that modern FAN engines don't just stop producing thrust when the engines go to idle. The free spinning N1 Fan produces about 75 % of the thrust in flight and coupled with "flight idle" thrust continues to propel the aircraft even after closing the thrust levers. Note the longer float distance on most landings today.

I actually start slowly closing the TL at 50 ft to be at idle by 30 ft and then as above. Works for me. It also tends to reduce the landing roll.

New pilots tend to severely overcontrol the aircraft between the threshold and touchdown when all they need to do is position the attitude and lock it there as stated above. The aircraft will land itself with no further help except in very windy conditions.

Thanks, Thermostat.