PDA

View Full Version : Jo'burg Atc In Trouble ?????????

Dumas
19th Sep 2002, 21:54
Jo'burg Atc In Trouble ?????????

Since 1994 traffic at FAJS has increased 108%. Staff compliment has increased 0%.

Since 1994 ATNS has been unable to recruit/retain enough staff so as to guarentee a 2 sector approach operation throughout the day. For the last 2 weeks radar west has been closed more often than not.

Sometime next year a new air traffic management system will be installed to replace our ageing parafin driven model. This system (we have been warned by those already operating it) requires staff levels to double so as to fulfil all the functions needed to keep it operational. So what now?

Just to keep the system running as is (frustrating for both ATC and aircrew) we'll need twice the number of people, but instead it looks as if there will be seven less ATC's by the end of April next year.

At present the controllers only get 6 days off per cycle ie 78 days per year. The admin staff (all those people at ATNS head office who make laughable decisions for a living) get 137 days off. We are supposed to get 20 days leave, 10 of which are compulsory. An area controller who's wife is ill with cancer was recently denied his COMPULSORY leave due to staff shortages???!!!???!!! Best she just hang in there and hope to go on holiday next year!

The fatigue resulting from working too many aircraft on a single frequency for too many days in a row has forced 1 controller so far into burnout. One of our last precious few good controllers is now suffering from what can only be described as chronic fatigue syndrome. The man has used his better judgement and has ellected to be taken off active controlling duty. A wise move. Others who find themselves in the same situation don't have the emotional maturity and strength to do the same. There are too many people working who are totally unfit for the job! ATNS still feels, however, that our work is not demanding enough to get more rest time. They feel that any 24 hour period between shifts IS a day off. Look out for the tell tale signs .............. controllers stumbling over their words, repeating an instruction within 3 or 4 transmissions, slightly slurred and laboured speech.

The guys are getting tired.

Add to this the frustration of having to contend with things like the World Summit, the current SAAF airshow (circus) and the misunderstanding of aircrew as to what the real situation is at ATNS .......and you'll admit that the demands on the ATC's are going to become too much at some stage. This is just the tip of the iceberg, for more info meet us at Highflyerz over a drink.......

What are the consequences of ATC's working beyond their capacity? Let's see ......................

Enjoy your next flight and try to help out by cutting us some slack. We'll do our best but we're not supermen!

20th Sep 2002, 00:16
Nothing has changed then !!
The best you can do is try and get a job overseas like the majority of us have done, and at least have a life inbetween shifts.....

TwoDogs
20th Sep 2002, 05:18
hey guys...any vacancies there :D

Only kidding ....... I ain't that desperate ....YET !!!

goatgruff
20th Sep 2002, 12:02
I had a count up of the unsolicited applications for atc positions we've had in the last 12 months, and out of the 64 we recieved, the 10 non UK applicants were all from J'oburg - mostly under 25 years of age.
We're only a regional airport in the UK, but we always follow up any application - a telephone call followed by a standard letter.
From the notes on file, it's clear that all the applicants were totally fed up with the situation there whilst, on the face of it, being educated and trained to a high standard.

We couldn't offer any them anything because they didn't hold any UK CAA recognised qualifications, but I've no doubt someone will, which will be to J'oburg's loss.

FDMS
21st Sep 2002, 16:47
Hi
Around two years ago I responded to a job advert in Flight for positions at JNB.
I received a reply saying that they were very interested and would be in touch. That was the last I ever heard.
Shame, but with attitudes like this, its no wonder things are getting tight.
Hope it all works out for those in JNB

:)

Nogbad the Bad
21st Sep 2002, 21:14
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......the kind of mess awful YOUR system is in is EXACTLY what NATS is headed for........

:( :( :( :( :( :(

21st Sep 2002, 21:27
Hi Nogbad

"Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......the kind of mess awful YOUR system is in is EXACTLY what NATS is headed for........ "

How many beers did you have when you posted that reply ??

Prost
:D

CEP
22nd Sep 2002, 11:44
Greetings!

Isn't it a wonder that ATNS works very closely on NATS principles-business, that is. No wonder both are heading for the same crossing point, same FL, same ETA.

Probably find that ATNS and NATS head honchos are braai buddies. Rape the worker, reap the cash!

Nogbad the Bad
22nd Sep 2002, 12:12
None at all 126'7 :(

:D

saywhat
24th Sep 2002, 09:30
I fly in SA, and understand your predicament. You are going to have to stand up as a group and be counted. Advise the Airlines operating in SA that you are going to work to rule. Tell them why, and I'm sure that they will back you. If the companies that pay the bills put pressure on the service provider, then perhaps the monkeys that initiated this situation will be forced to come up with a plan of action.

Anyway, I wish you all well, and good luck. I hope that when the inevitable does happen, it ends up as a near miss and no closer.

Don't leave SA, as we pilots flying in this country need you guys out there. I believe that you guys do an outstanding job. KEEP IT UP!!

Radar Belle
9th Oct 2002, 15:32
How many controllers would JHB need to run 2 Approach sectors,how many solo controllers do they have and how many are close to completing their training?:confused:

Canoehead
19th Oct 2002, 01:07
We Canuks just hired two controllers from Joburg, they seem to be VERY happy to be away from there.....

CEP
19th Oct 2002, 12:45
Greetings!

Radar Belle- Approach is six short with two sectors open, but we have a requirement for three sectors running, and no training taking place currently.

Canoehead- not as happy as we are

Canoehead
19th Oct 2002, 15:46
Oh!.........or should I say "oh oh!"

Coast
20th Oct 2002, 04:23
Hey Canoehead I thought that Jo'burgers spoke Afrikaans not French!!

What sectors are they in?

Yodeller
22nd Oct 2002, 11:10
Presumably the best of ATNS management left for the Middle East a few years ago, and have been spectacularly under-achieving in Abu Dhabi ever since.

The dregs of management left behind in FAJS must be absolutely hopeless. Pity on you poor ATNS ATCO's, always having to prop them up over there. Look further abroad, there are propects out there.

Be careful now, y'a hear!

Death From Above
15th Nov 2002, 12:20
Sounds like ATNS is the front runner for the worst ATC company this decade. Must be a manager problem? Seen this in some other companies as well. My advice...........

RUN LIKE HELL.

It doesn't get better and remember, you only have yourself to look after. So when those other job opportunities come along.....go for it.

Good luck

mutt
15th Nov 2002, 17:05
I jumpseated out of JNB last weekend, the standard of controlling from the SA sections was excellent, it rapidly diminished as we flew north.

Unfortunately after spending two weeks in your wonderful country, i can fully understand why people want to get out.

Good luck.

Mutt.

TheSoprano
16th Nov 2002, 19:16
Aren't you guys getting a load of Swedes shortly????:rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------

Reduce to avoid delay

saywhat
28th Nov 2002, 09:23
Last person to leave, please turn out the light, that's if the electricity still works

Vercingetorix
30th Nov 2002, 17:43
Yodeller
You,as an Oz who worked a Mid east airport with a daily thruput of 103 movements,are your comments re J'Burg justified ?

Yodeller
2nd Dec 2002, 11:28
Seems I have twitched a nerve by taking a professional swipe at your countrymen. Seems you should read my post again, I was referring to the standard of management coming out of SA, not that of the controllers.

103 movements per day? Just as I suspected, it all passed over your head when it got busy. And, oh yeah, did I forget to mention that I worked 15 years at a 1200 movements per day airport and complex TMA setup? That wouldn't count by your reasoning either, I suppose.

Let me repeat, if the "best of ATNS management" went to the Middle East, the ones left in SA must be pathetic, even by SERCO standards.

These are the facts, what's your argument?

porra
3rd Dec 2002, 11:37
Is there a Controller Union at ATNS and if so what is their position on the staff crisis at Jo'burg?

Radar Hog
8th Dec 2002, 05:06
porra

The ATC union in SA could not organise a "****-up" in a brewery!

AirNoServicesAustralia
18th Dec 2002, 07:21
As an Aussie in Abu Dhabi, all I can say is if you're not happy with your lot there leave (as I did from another frontrunner for the worst ATC company in the world AirServicesAustralia). But hurry cos the last 3 controllers have all come from Australia, with more to come. I know for a fact there are a couple more jobs in the new year in Abu Dhabi, and theres a rumour that theres more jobs in Dubai soon also.

As far as Yodeller saying that the managers do a bad job here, I have found on the whole that the Sth African Serco managers to be fantastic. How many other companys hold free dinners with all included twice a year christmas and midyear.

I say again if things are as bad as you say (as I'm sure they are from talking to the 12 or so Springboks here) then don't send yourself to a nervous breakdown, come out here and earn twice the money, pay no tax, get 8 weeks leave a year and get your kids put through private school free of charge.cheers.