PDA

View Full Version : Landing attitude ER145

Final 3 Greens
17th Sep 2002, 13:35
First time on a 145 last week, sitting right at the back.

The landing flare attitude felt quite nose high compared to B737, 320 etc, more like a light twin.

Just wondered if it was, or whether thre was an illusion due the narrow, long, cabin etc..

Would be interested if any ER4 drivers out there could comment.

the aviator
19th Sep 2002, 12:15
A high landing attitude occurs mostly when you're performing a flap 22 landing instead of a flap 45. In a flap 22 configuration (mainly used in gusty winds and performing Cat II and III approaches) and approaching Vmfa over the threshold you're pitch angle increases due to the absence of slats at this swept wing of the embraer and the lower lift device when using flaps 22.
I have experienced pitch angles (with 19 tons landing weight) of about 8-9 degrees..

Hope this is clarifying your question

Final 3 Greens
20th Sep 2002, 08:25
Thank you!

It was a calm, clear night so maybe it was a simulated Cat II approach using flaps 22 - I didn't notice the flap position to be honest.

The attitude certainly "felt" to be 5 degrees or more.

Flying Clog
20th Sep 2002, 14:22
On most of the approach, down to the flare, the ERJ 145 actually has a lower nose attitude than most jet airliners in my opinion. Could be wrong...

Final 3 Greens
20th Sep 2002, 21:08
Flying Clog

Thanks for the observation; obviously a steeper nose down approach could give a false illusion due to inner ear tricks as the nose is raised in the flare - I realise that Row 17 isn't the best place to judge these things from!

I did like the 145 as a pax - just came back from ATH on a A300 yesterday and felt like spam in a can (2+4+2 in Business) compared to the 1 + 2 in the Embraer.