PDA

View Full Version : Engineering/Maintainance

Crack
13th Sep 2002, 08:02
How many of the companies you work for have engineering related human factors courses?.

Just wondering, as a professional stick,pedal,and noise maker,if it is deemed such a important renewable topic under JAR,for those at the windward end, is it not equally, or maybe even more important for the engineering/maintainance tech.
I have had several experiances of incidents that have occured due to engineering.

Waht are your thoughts.?:(

Jet II
13th Sep 2002, 13:46
As someone who works for the Big Airways - in maintenance we have 2 yearly HF training although it is just lip-service to the CAA.

I agree with you that it is probably more important for engineering to have HF training, but unless the company actually believes and puts into practice the lessons learned then it is just a waste of time. Big Airways at the moment is cracking the whip on employees and any attempt to learn from past mistakes is doomed.

If the ailine industry turns round and companies start making money again things may change and we may all be safer.

:)

tayman
14th Sep 2002, 14:08
HR is now an examinable subject for LAE lic. issue in Singapore,
and will soon be similarly rqd in Australia.

Blacksheep
14th Sep 2002, 14:08
Human Factors Training for Engineering & Maintenance became mandatory under JARs and UKCAA have included an HF module into the JAR66 licence exam. The syllabus is covered in CAP715 as introductory material and CAPs 716, 718 and 719 provide more detailed information for companies to use in setting up HF training and procedures. Approved Engineering Organisations were also required to introduce Maintenance Error Management Systems (MEMS), but it is a bit early to say how effective these will turn out to be. So, the answer to the question posed in the topic is - Yes, JAR companies do have HF training for engineers, but it is early days and will take time to become effective. HF is at an early stage in Engineering but will develop quickly.

The RAeS Human Factors Group (http://www.raes-hfg.com/xmaintsg.htm) website has an interesting presentation by Cliff Edwards (http://www.raes-hfg.com/xeng0812.htm) of Shell Aviation, that inferred that the engineering 'macho' culture needed to be brought into line with the Cockpit CRM practices used for Aircrew and include the equivalent of regular 'line checks'.

I note that one forward thinking airline in the middle east has already established a Group Safety Department and they advertised recently for Graduate Engineers with AME licences and post graduate qualifications in Occupational Psychology to manage the engineering side. Its just a matter of time before the field expands.

In the meantime, the 5 year exemption granted to the Transport Industry, from EC regulations governing hours of work, expires on 31 December. I haven't noticed many companies preparing for this important Human Factors improvement. Apart from Lufthansa of course, who are moving all Airbus maintenance to the Philippines...

Through difficulties to the cinema