PDA

View Full Version : FI Ratings abroad

Mister Geezer
12th Sep 2002, 16:38
I am thinking of getting an FI rating, however it will take ages in the lovely British weather during the winter months. Can any one recommend anywhere that does FI ratings abroad for JAA licences??

MG

MJR
13th Sep 2002, 09:31
Mister Geezer

There is no reason why an FI rating in the UK should take longer than any where else in the world as the course requires 30 hours flying and 125 hours ground school. Most schools offer the course over 5 weeks therefore when the weather is good you fly and when its bad you do ground school. Additionally if you do the course in winter for the cost of an extra hour you can do the night rating as well.

cheers

MJR

Bob Fleming
21st Sep 2002, 22:00
how about the IMC add on - is that a 5 hour extra or something like that...?

MG - you might want to consider air med in valencia although I'm not entirely sure whether the course is in english!

where were you thinking of doing it?

laters

Mister Geezer
23rd Sep 2002, 10:50
I am still seriously thinking (decided!) of going to Tayside at Perth. I have friends who have been there and they have no complaints which can't be bad! I was sitting on the fence when thinking of going abroad but I think I will stay in Blighty.

IMC and night would be an advantage however my local flying club does very little night or IMC training due to lack of demand. Obviously number one priority is to keep the cost down... and I can't see myself getting any return for the extra cost of 5 extra hours which amounts to quite a sum of £££!

Thanks for you advice folks

MG

MJR
23rd Sep 2002, 12:43
You cant do the IMC upgrade until you have unrestricted your FI(R)

TTFN

MJR

juggernaut
28th Sep 2002, 21:35
If you have a night rating and 10 hours night then you can do the night instructors rating as part of the FI course, eg within the 30 hours flying, it involves 1 hour night training and a minimum of 3 hours ground school. In Scotland it is a useful rating to have as it gets well dark and I happen to know the flying school you mention would normally include it providing you are competent on the day flying!
The imc instructors rating, although 5 hours and 35 ground normally takes more than the 5 stated, to get to test standard, also you need 50 hours IFR and an imc rating with no restriction.
Its my humble opinion that there will be a drastic shortage of imc rated instructors soon as an unrestricted FI can do everything a QFI can bar teach IF, also no imc requirement for CPL issue any more. Hope this is of interest!

MJR
30th Sep 2002, 11:04
I dont think you need 10 hours night to do the night FI rating because I certainly didn't.

cheers

MJR:)