PDA

View Full Version : Medical Validity

Canadian
9th Sep 2002, 21:55
Quick question,
How long is a class 1 medical valid for private pilot purposes. Is it 60 months these days?
Cheers.

Gand
10th Sep 2002, 02:19
Yes and No, it depends. If your under 40 yrs of age your category 1 medical will expire and "downgrade" to a category 3 after 12 months. Your medical will remain valid as a "cat3" for the next 48 months, thus finishing off the 60 month validity of a cat3. If your over 40 your cat1 medical expires and "downgrades" to a cat 3 after 6 months, then remaining valid as a cat3 for the next 18 months, thus finishing off the over 40 cat3 validity period of 24 months. Also worth knowing, medical validity is calculated from the first day of the month following the date of the medical exam. Hope that helps. Feel free to correct me if you know something i don't.

Gand :D

Canadian
10th Sep 2002, 15:43
Thanks for the info Gand. I'm under 40, so 60 months it is. I've been living in the UK for the past couple of years and had a feeling that the validity periods had been increased but wasn't sure, so thanks for clearing it up.

Cheers once again.

IHL
24th Sep 2002, 02:30
60 Months is only good for a private licence in Canada. If you take a Canadian Registered airplane and fly it in the US then you must have a medical in the last 24months(I think) or what ever their private medical validity period is.