PDA

View Full Version : Flight Progress Strips.

Baron Greenback
9th Sep 2002, 18:33
Was sent this website - for entertainment purposes mainly I think, but there are a few strips reproduced on there. As they're legal documents etc. is this allowed?

Just curious really.

http://avsim.com/atco/index2.htm
:confused:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Sep 2002, 20:31
Are Flight Progress Strips "legal documents"? I rather doubt it. In any event, given a sight of a few it would be perfectly easy to produce similar looking strips with a home PC so nobody could ever prove that they were genuine.

Flybywyre
9th Sep 2002, 20:56
Heard this before regarding flight strips being termed as "legal documents" including from someone on my watch.
What is actually meant is that a flight strip COULD become a legal document should the flight that it pertains to be involved in some incident that finds its way into the courts. This could then be used as "evidence" which would of course render the flight strip a "legal document".
Until that happens it remains a bog standard flight strip normally in the wrong colour holder :D :D
FBW

Liobian
9th Sep 2002, 20:58
During many years in this game, I've always understood that FPS are indeed legal documents and must be treated as such.
That's why i gave up doodling on them !!
I'd be interested to learn otherwise.:confused:

Flybywyre
9th Sep 2002, 21:26
It's a bit like a cheque.
Under normal circumstances it is not a legal document. However if that cheque is presented and bounces, or is used for an illegal transaction then it could/would become a legal document.
The only exception to this would be if the CAA have defined an FPS strip a legal document, like a CofA.
Which.......to the best of my knowledge, they haven't.
But I am prepared to be shot down and burnt if someone is able to produce the CAA text that proves otherwise.....and I'll buy you a pint :eek:

ATCO Two
9th Sep 2002, 21:41
On the subject of flight progress strips, what format strips do TC use for aircraft being provided with ATSOCA (stop laughing!). Do you use a midi version of the grey FIR strip? Serious question.

zkdli
10th Sep 2002, 06:29
App tend to use pink strips as the a/c are usually freecalls!
But if the a/c has flightplanned then it would be an ordinary strip in blue or buff. If area get involved it is usually for a joiner and it will be in a blue or buff depending on which direction the computer thinks it is going and which strip holder the atsa has put it in!!:)

BDiONU
10th Sep 2002, 06:42
One other 'legal' use for PFS is route charges 'cause thats where they all get sent.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Sep 2002, 07:17
ATCO TWO... I don't know what ATSOCA means - honest!

Findo
10th Sep 2002, 09:06
Ha ha Heathrow :) ......... and you don't know what an ATCO 3 is either I bet !!

errrrr you are kidding right ?;)

Roger That
10th Sep 2002, 18:47
I thought the legal bit referred to the Annex 10 requirement to hold them for 30 (?) days after use (like RTF & phone tapes etc.)

RT

Spitoon
10th Sep 2002, 19:34
I don't think the fact that something is mentioned in an Annex makes it legal or otherwise in the UK.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Sep 2002, 07:02
Findo.. I don't know about ATCO3's. I got "high-flyer" promotion direct from 4 to 2... probably due to my outstanding skills!

Hey.. I just did a GOOGLE search for ATSOCAS and found out what it means - ATC Services Outside Controlled Airspace. That explains my ignorance - I've been incarcerated in Class A for so long. Sorry guys.

Concrete
11th Sep 2002, 13:33
Thank you SO much BG. I'd managed to forget that site existed.

Air vent, as someone who is featured, I will state that I couldn't care less.

Anyone else here in it and willing to admit to it? Air Vent?????

bjcc
11th Sep 2002, 18:59
A legal document could and has been anything which is or could be tendered in evidence, that means that the back of a fag packet with the note of a registration number of a car on it could be. In general it must be an original note, and signed and dated, for the obvious reason that otherwise it could have been completed anytime. A document completed 2 weeks after any form of incident obviously has less evidencial value than one with the date of the incident and signiture of the person concerned.
As regards to FPS being displayed on a web site, well could be a breach of copyright but i doubt it.