PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 150 costs

Oscar Duece
9th Sep 2002, 09:12
This may seem a simple one. But thought I would get the advise of all you in the know.

To cut a long story short. I have been offered a Cessna 150 (1969) with 5000 af/t and 500 e/t. As way of payment of a debt.

Rather than just sell it on I thought it may be useful to operate it on a share scheme. After all prices are low at the moment and c150's don't seem to be moving as was.

Can anyone offer up and figures on running costs, so I can make a decision. i would be planning to base it in the central south. Ie. Popham, Sarum, or Shoreham. As anywhere alse have rather larger landing fees.

Also thinking about offering it as 10% shares. To many or to little for a C150. I have seen people offering 5% shares.

:rolleyes:

poetpilot
9th Sep 2002, 09:21
Hi there.... email me offline at [email protected] and I'll send you a spreadsheet I've done for a C172. You can adapt it to a C150 no problem.

You'll have two lots of costs that you'll want to play with....

Fixed
Hourly-dependent

The BIG cost is engine replacement, which you need to budget for.

Typically, a coupla C150/C152 groups up at Barton offer (I think) £30-£40 pm + £25-35 per hr wet. Those are based on 20 share groups (i.e. 5%).

LowNSlow
9th Sep 2002, 13:56
Oscar I'd base a C150 on a tarmac runway if possible especially if there are relatively inexperienced pilots involved.

Taxiing a C150 on a bumpy grass taxiway without keeping the yoke back can result in a retractable noseleg which sometimes isn't appreciated by peeps who have learned in a tarmac/concrete environment :rolleyes: I had a 150 based in Popham and got very ticked off to learn that it was being taxiied around in exactly the manner described above. Fortunately the person concerned is no longer there, neither is my old Aerobat unfortunately. :(

Oscar Duece
19th Sep 2002, 09:30
Well after trying to tie matters up. I seem to have hit a problem.

After speaking to several airfields in my area, things got interesting. We talked about parking charges, landing cards and who is on the field for maintainance. But with three locations so far. When I mentioned C150 and group operated, I got the ' we are full at the moment' letter. !!

So the only two that seem viable at the moment are Hurn and Shoreham. Although I don't think I spoke to the right person at Shoreham, because the landing rates are more than Hurn (@ £ 12-00 plus vat or a yearly card at 200 drops). With Shoreham @ £ 14-00, that can't be right can it. And yes I would prefer a hard strip that never gets water logged and is genrally more forgiving on the nose strut. The other good thing about Hurn is the opening hours.

Any other sudgestions people.

Also anyone got any figures on fuel consumption (in either us or uk gallons(please state)). And any advise on timing. Whta is best and why. Hobbs or chock to chock, or airtine plus 10 mins ??

Rob_L
22nd Sep 2002, 11:33
Approx four imp galls an hour.

In the uk you record flying time wheels off to wheels on. Chock to chock, hourmeter, hours plus are used by flying schools to increase their operating profit at your expense.

Rusty Cessna
22nd Sep 2002, 14:01
Oscar,

Keep us posted on your progress, I am currently looking for a share similar to what you are suggesting, although I doubt you will be able to make it a little more towards the Plymouth area!;)

Still would be keen to know how things get along.

Thanks,
Rusty.