PDA

View Full Version : The states?

stellair
8th Sep 2002, 18:36
Anyone know if U.S or any other foreign flight schools are in need of JAA FI's, how's the market out there ?

slim_slag
8th Sep 2002, 23:30
stellair

Around these parts (currently doing a job in Arizona) the market for learning to fly seems to be holding up quite well. Nobody really knows what is going to happen next week, next month or next year.

The problem with instructing is although the number of jobs may not have changed too much, the number of people chasing those jobs has increased substantially. Most of those who had jobs on Sept 11th still have them, and are in no hurry to give them up. Those jobs which do become available are filled by the guy who has put his time in fueling planes or manning the front desk.

Things could be different for JAA instructors, or in other parts of the country, but I don't see any reason why it should be.

slim_slag
11th Sep 2002, 20:07
I said

Around these parts (currently doing a job in Arizona) the market for learning to fly seems to be holding up quite well.

I was out boozing with a CFI at one of the busier class D airfields round here, and she was saying things are getting a lot slower. She was blaming it on all the insurance hikes in the past year, it's now substantially more expensive to rent a plane where she works than a year ago. She is now looking for a second job :(

reynoldsno1
18th Sep 2002, 04:14
I hear that WMU has been shedding JAA instructors of late, though that may just be as a result of a change in strategy, rather than a change in the market.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
18th Sep 2002, 15:57
I heard that NAC in Florida are looking for JAA FI's -

Worth giving them a call...

Johnny 7
18th Sep 2002, 17:18
slim_slag

Where in Az are you located ? I'm living just outside PHX - FAA CFI , JAA FI ( commercial approved ) , with right to live & work in U.S. but still a British citizen hence unable to operate anything heavier than 12.5 post 9/11 . Any advice greatly appreciated .

saviboy
23rd Sep 2002, 14:47
hi im xavier from france.
im at the comair aviaton academy in florida
i just read in your mail tha you were allowed to work legally in the usa, but still , you cant fly anything heavier than12500 k just because youre not a US citizen.
i ha ve agreen card, and i sure i ll be able to fly heavy in the future.can you give precisions, please?
thanks in advance
xavier

Johnny 7
24th Sep 2002, 18:24
Bonjour saviboy

I'm afraid only a U.S. citizen may currently train in an a/c with MTOW >12,500Lbs registered in the U.S.

I believe that if you already hold a type rating you are allowed to continue operating that type if you hold an appropriate visa or a 'greencard' .

The FAA website contains more details , but essentially , this limits non-U.S. citizens to anything lighter than , but not including , a King Air !