PDA

View Full Version : cheap hour building??

hushkit77
23rd Feb 2002, 16:37
Anyone flown in the USA recently?? . .I am struggling to get enough hours to unfreeze my ATPL by June 02 so I am wanting to do some more flying stateside. I am eager to find the cheapest flying possible in the US so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it!!. .email me or post info on this topic

Irish Flyer
23rd Feb 2002, 17:16
Have you considered South Africa? Flying is very cheap down there. It's always another option.

hushkit77
23rd Feb 2002, 18:26
good idea matey...do you know any details of good schools?

A and C
23rd Feb 2002, 21:36
At the moment i,m trying to set up a lease on a C152 in the UK for hour building the cost is likly to be about £54/hr wet would this interest any one ?.

Dan Dare
25th Feb 2002, 13:32
£54/hour?

You could fly for a quarter of that down the road at White Waltham!

No, not the club! The single seat Jodel, Turbulent and Luton Minors. Variable costs from £9 per hour wet. (Fixed costs for hangarage and insurance about £30 per month). You wont fly cheeper than that unless you're paid to do it!

[ 25 February 2002: Message edited by: Dan Dare ]</p>

Bloody long way down
25th Feb 2002, 14:01
hushkit77,

Try Debenair Aviation in Titusville Fl. (KTIX) They are a very friendly company with clean and comfortable aircraft with good maintenance. If you get a block booking it'll cost approx ($40 wet) p/h. If you want anymore info let me know and I'll mail it to you!

Cheers

spitfire747
25th Feb 2002, 15:12
Huskit77

Not to put a dampener on anything but remember cheapest is not always the best and thats from experience. . .Afterall as most things in life, you pay for what you get and at the end of the day your life is priceless.

Good Luck

MJR
25th Feb 2002, 15:24
You can probably get a C152 a Shobdon for less than £60 and hour on there syndicate scheme.

mintfavour
25th Feb 2002, 20:23
Anyone know of any cheap hours in northamptonshire. .I would be interested.

cheers

mint

hushkit77
25th Feb 2002, 20:44
cheers guys for all the info...Ive flown in the states before at ADP in LA so I know all about dodgy planes. The best deal they can do is about $52/hr for block of 50hrs in an Archer...I will check out Debenair also. Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Feb 2002, 21:05
If you are UK based and need a large lump of hours, the cheapest way by far is to get a cheap permit aircraft, and fly the pants off it.

For example, you need 200 hrs...

Buy a Minimax or similar for £5k.. .Fly 200 hrs for ~£20/hr fuel + parts + servicing. .Sell it for £4k

Total cost: £5000, or £25/hr.

Not only that, but you'll probably have had far more fun than hiring a 152, and don't need to fit in with the needs of the rest of a syndicate.

Looking at the current Popular Flying classified ads, you could have...

Druine Turbulent with VW, £6,100. .MW7 with 532, £3,995. .Quickie Q200 with 0-200, £8,995

G

[ 25 February 2002: Message edited by: Genghis the Engineer ]</p>

The mole
25th Feb 2002, 23:50
Try australia. I recently hired a cessna 310 twin for £138/hour on the tacho. This worked out at about £112 brakes to brakes.

nunos
26th Feb 2002, 03:01
hushkit. .hows it going Becks? and how is Posh? get rid of alot more of that virgin kit and you'll be able to hour build in a seneca !!!!!!!. .happy hunting matey!!!

A and C
26th Feb 2002, 12:52
I hear what you guys are saying about using PFA type aircraft for cheap flying (and as a PFA inspector i suport this aim) but these types tend to be more limited in the fact that they cannot fly at night or IFR also they tend to be more weather critical after all on a fine winters day would you fly for 4 hours in an open cockpit aircraft ?.

Also what i was proposing requires only a small amount of money up front not the £5K a lump sum that few wannabes can risk having invested in an aircraft that they cannot sell quickly (IE over the winter)when the thing is still atracting hangar or parking charges and then what if disaster strikes and the thing needs a new engine can the average wannabe run to the cost of engine replacment ?.

My aim is to give the hours builder a cheap well maintained aircraft at a cost that is compeditive with going to the USA when you take into account the airline ticket and hotel costs ,I cant do this with out the aircraft having a PT C of A as technicaly the aircraft is flying for hire.

So £54 would get the wannabe an hours flying from take off to landing (aprox 1+10 chock to chock)with out any other commitments apart from the diposit to cover the insurance exess ,this of course he would get back when he finnished flying the aircraft (if he had not bent it !).

Polar_stereographic
26th Feb 2002, 13:01
Genghis the Engineer,

Exactly what I did.

Purchased an MS880B (Rallye 100) cost 10.5K. .Sold, exactly 12 months later for 9.5K

My logbook grew with 400 hours for that. Not bad seing I was in a full time job at the time as well.

Would I recomend it - maybe - there are risks involved. I was lucky as I sold it before the real liabilities occured.

PS

btw, it was a useless a/c, but great fun in the circuit, specialy doing short field stuff.

The Islander
26th Feb 2002, 14:32
A and C,. .That sounds like good value. Could you let me know when you're ready to take things to the next stage.. .Regards