PDA

View Full Version : Should I post it?

Vlax
6th Sep 2002, 13:42
I’ve written a bit of a damming letter about the lack of service from an ATCU, which is aimed at a fellow controller, while I was flying a Pa28 VFR. Basically he didn’t answer my calls, and I wasn’t the only one, then I was told to standby. 15 mins later I was told I was number 2 holding. No expected duration or reason for the hold. A total of 40mins going round in circles outside CAS went by, before he even got back to me with pass your message. On the other box I was monitoring his other radar freq. and the twr freq. I believe he wasn’t busy. But showed all the symptoms of stress.

It doesn’t finish there, on my departure he then appeared on the twr frequency and promptly forgot about me at the hold for a good 15-20 mins. (No other movements). While at this airport I had been bombarded with TFC info ¾ of which was completely irrelevant and the rest only just relevant. But on the climb out I had to take mild avoiding action on TFC 12 o’clock high, less than ½ nm. TFC was then given after I had turned away from it. Had I been in something a little sportier than a Pa28/140, things may have been a little different.

To add insult to injury I was charged more than £50 for the service!

Thing is I don’t want to get involved in opening a can of worms.

:confused:

eastern wiseguy
6th Sep 2002, 13:48
Would taking him to one side and having a quiet word not help?If not why not file it in CHIRP?

Muppit
6th Sep 2002, 18:24
From the sound of it you have to do something.

From what you've described his situational awareness and priorities may have slipped, and if that's the case, they have to be addressed. I can appreciate that you don't want to stir things up, but roles reversed, if a serious incident occured to you because you were stressed and no one had mentioned it to you, ask yourself how you would feel.

If an individual is stressed, they are generally not thinking clearly and may not be aware of their actions. I've been there. A good mate said I was pushing it, and I took corrective action. If no one had mentioned it, I would have thought everything was OK and carried on as normal. Until something happened.

All I can suggest is to post the letter. Don't make it a critical, damming, sarcastic note as ATCO's tend to favour, but try to word it in such a way as to show that you are concerned for safety as well as his well being. ATCO to ATCO as it were. You may find out that no one on the unit has had the nerve to confront him and you may just set the ball rolling; or the LCE's and managers may already be aware of the issue and can use your impartial opinion to back up their findings.

All a bit fluffy I know, but like I said, you can't really afford to do nothing.

:)

eyeinthesky
7th Sep 2002, 12:26
As an ATCO, you are probably in a better position than most to be able accurately to assess the shortcomings in the service you received as a pilot. I would send the letter, after all you are only trying to help.

Generally I would encourage everyone to write or phone if they think they have received a particularly poor service, as it is only through this that we have a useful interchange of information and the shortcomings in the service are identified.

Scott Voigt
10th Sep 2002, 04:07
VLAX;

Come fly over here. We can vex you for free <G>... But on a lighter side. You can fly in and out of a LOT of nice airports with NO ATC what so ever....

regards

Vlax
10th Sep 2002, 12:36
Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll tone it down a little before I send it.

If the bloke is stressed I don’t want to add to it!
:)