PDA

View Full Version : low wing / hight wing

kurty
6th Sep 2002, 11:02
I have about 55 hours in a C152 and want to fly in Dubai but I have never flown a low wing and that's all they have available. I am wondering if it is going to take me a long time to get used to it and how many hours. some people have told me just the float is a little longer due to ground effect but it should be fine ?

Kermit 180
6th Sep 2002, 11:09
Ive usually found people have more problems going from low wing to high wing, and those converting the other way find the conversion much easier. The reasons are limited visibility in the high wing during turns, pitch changes with large amounts of flap on the high wing, and the associated float. You should be fine. Good luck.

Kermie

FlyingForFun
6th Sep 2002, 11:13
Hi kurty!

It will always take a few hours to convert from one type to another. Whether it's high wing or low wing really doesn't make any difference to how long it takes to convert.

The things which you will notice are that your visibility of the ground will be obstructed in the low wing aircraft. You might have to think about this when navigating, in case the wing blocks your view of a navigation feature. And your passengers won't enjoy the view quite as much. On the flip side, in your Cessna, you'll be used to having your view obscured by the down-going wing as you turn. The view in a turn in a low-wing is much better, and you might find that the circuit is slightly easier because of this. But these differences are so minimal they're really barely worth mentioning, let alone worrying about.

On a more technical note, the fuel tanks will probably be below the engine, whereas you're used to them being above the engine. Depending on the type, you'll probably have at least two fuel pumps. If both of these should fail, you'll have an engine failure. On the PA28, the main pump is mechanical, and the backup pump is electrical, so the chances of failure are pretty remote. But if you were to have a total electrical failure, it's worth knowing that you don't have a backup fuel pump. Again, such a minor point that I'm not sure it's even worth mentioning.

As for floating in the flare, I think there are so many other things that affect this that any difference that the position of the wing might make would be so small as to be irrelevant.

What type are you thinking of renting?

Have fun! :)

FFF
-----------

dublinpilot
6th Sep 2002, 11:36
I think you'll have little difficulty in changing from high to low wing. (But I'm biased having learned on low wings):D

Low wind should cause little difficulty in navigation either, as pilots view is usually not obscured by the wing, unless you are looking 90degrees to heading.

FFF mentioned about fuel being delivered by a pump. One important point about this is that it usually means you have to select fuel from left or right tanks. There is usually not an option for both tanks, which is available on many high wing aircraft. So remember to change tanks from time to time.

I wouldn't worry about it. I agree with Kermit...people have more difficulty going the other way (myself included:rolleyes: )

AerBabe
6th Sep 2002, 17:39
I had about 65 hours in C152s when I started flying a PA28-140, and found it no problem. There was more difference in the handling due to size than wing position. There is more ground effect on landing though, meaning you tend to float a bit more... but that doesn't take long to get round. In total I spent an hour on circuits, and an hour on upper air work before I was signed off, but I wasn't really happy until I had another hour on circuits. If this is your first 'new' type after having learned you'll find it slightly strange with a new cockpit layout, but I'm sure you'll have no problems. Good luck :)

DB6
7th Sep 2002, 09:15
Do you know exactly what you'll be flying in Dubai? I ask since the first low wing aircraft I flew was a Cherokee 140 (after C152) and the wing was no problem but, by Holy Harry the window winder handle in the roof for trimming and the lack of any toe-brakes certainly were.
As has already been said the fuel pump and fuel management system are the only real differences. At least you won't have to worry about the weather :cool: .