PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating

Spamcan defender
5th Sep 2002, 09:55
Hi all,
Thinking of doing my IMC rating hopefully sometime soon and was looking to clarify whether its recognised outside the U.K. Looking at the JARS (again) :eek: :eek: I found this...

Authorisations/Ratings for special purposes associated with a licence( e.g. IMC flying, towing,aerobatics, dropping of parachutists, etc) may be established by the Authority in accordance with the requirements of that JAA Member State for use solely within that Member State's airspace. The use of such an authorisation/rating in another JAA Member State's airspace requires the prior agreement of the State(s) visited, except where a bilateral agreement exists.

To my mind this would seem to suggest that as long as other members recognise the IMC, its valid in those countries. The question is, are there any JAA states which recognise the UK IMC rating?????

FormationFlyer
5th Sep 2002, 10:22
Simple answer is AFAIK no and AFAIK before JAR/JAA no-one did either. Simple answer is if you want those priviliges you need an IR.

JAA/JAR were supposed to come up with the IWR (Instrument Weather Rating) but nothing ever came of that...despite it still being mentioned here and there in official CAA docs...

Spamcan defender
5th Sep 2002, 12:53
Thanks FF. Appreciated.:) :)

Rusty Cessna
5th Sep 2002, 15:10
Hey folks,

sorry to hi-jack but does anyone know if the 10 hours P1 post PPL to get the IMC have to be done before application for the actual ticket, or before training comences?

Thanks,
Rusty.

tacpot
5th Sep 2002, 15:22
You are required to have 10 Hours P1 upon application for the rating. See http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf

So it can be done after the IMC rating test has been completed. But the wisdom of doing the IMC Rating with so little P1 time is a bit dubious. 10 Hours P1 is not very much at all. I can understand you not wanting to let you finely honed skills atrophy and die before doing the rating, and to get the benefit of the rating as quickly as possible, but I would have thought you would have benefited from a little VFR consolidation first.

Rusty Cessna
5th Sep 2002, 17:40
Cheers for that Tacpot,

I wasn't actually asking with reference to me doing an IMC just yet. I was chatting to a friend about the subject a few days ago and had heard conflicting reports.

I'm going to leave the IMC until ive done quite a bit more flying, hopefully in a syndicate aircraft, so its not a priority at the mo, but thats again.

Rusty.

Keef
5th Sep 2002, 18:38
One tiny exception to FormationFlyer's answer above.

Germany used to have a "CVFR Rating" which allowed a PPL/no IR to transit controlled airspace in VFR/VMC. Hence "Controlled VFR".

I don't know whether or not that rating still exists in Germany, but in the old days when I first got my IMC rating, it was accepted as equivalent to a CVFR and I could fly with CVFR privileges.

Any D-reg PPLs here who know if the CVFR still exists after JAR?