PDA

View Full Version : Victa Airtourer

Tee
4th Sep 2002, 22:12
Have fallen in love with a Victa Airtourer I saw at the weekend. Can anyone tell me what they're like to fly and/or anything else about them? Looks like there are only four on the UK register.

sharpshot
5th Sep 2002, 07:20
I stand to be well corrected, however, they were originally an Australian design/build. They were imported into the U.K. and were "re-built" at Staverton (Gloucester).

There is a very nice example in a hangar at Glos now.

and now for the corrections...............:p

A and C
5th Sep 2002, 08:36
I did a C of A airtest on one some time back and found it to be pleasant enough to fly it recoverd from the test spins as per the book , I always do the basic aerobatic manovers on an airtest if the aircraft is aproved for them.

The aircraft that I tested was OK for the aerobatics but the markings that had been put on the aircraft to assist the aerobatics seemed to be not quite right and had I used the vertical line then the aircraft would have fallen on its back in the stall turn.

Overall I quite enjoyed flying the aircraft but was not popular with the hangar rats as I retuned the aircraft with a large quantity of engine oil on the outside of the aircraft!.

As for owning one I dont think that i would in the UK this is only because the parts support is so far away.

stiknruda
5th Sep 2002, 09:22
Pretty cheap in Oz. Understand that they come with a 115hp engine but many are converted to a 150hp down under.

Parts supply in the UK is sporadic but parts are readily and inexpensively available in Oz.

And it is aerobatic:D

Stik

djpil
5th Sep 2002, 11:36
Most of the NZ-built Airtourers had the 150 hp engine. Its a much nicer airplane with more power. More info at:
Airtourer Association (http://www.airtourer.asn.au/)

A and C
5th Sep 2002, 15:09
The aircraft i tested was the 150 HP type I dont think that it would have been very much fun with only 115 HP .

Stampe
5th Sep 2002, 15:28
150 horse power with c/speed prop quite nice will maintain height during aeros slightly quirky and you have to get used to the shared central stick.The lower powered 115 horse power is not very good and the 100 horse power Continental version even worse to the point that grass fields two up are marginal.Lower powered versions really only suitable for longer tarmac strips such as Biggin,N.Weald or Kemble.:confused:

Tinstaafl
7th Sep 2002, 15:39
Flown 100 hp, 115 (I think. Can't remember), 150 & 160 injected. Ferried a 100hp from Brisbane to Proserpine once... Bit of a slow trip ~ 6 hrs or so.

The 100 hp version is a RR licence built Continental O-200.

I think UK models were standard with a 130 hp engine.

Submitted in the '60s as an entry in the Royal Aero Club's competition to design a new training a/c - and won.

In general light control forces. A mid mounted stick is used ie it's positioned between the two occupants so they share the single lever. A shared armrest is also fitted.

Each throttle is situated on the upper, outer corner of the panel. The hand operated brake knob is just below the throttle (no foot brakes).

Single occupant must be in the LH seat due to the flap lever being mounted on the LH sidewall. The a/c uses flaperons & a belly flap.

A unique segmented dipstick is part of the a/c equipment. Press the plunger & the segments can collapse around each other, release the plunger & the whole things stiffens into the proper shape. This lets you dip the tank down the curved filler pipe. Each segment is worth so many Gals (5 Imp Gal, I think...)

Seating is non adjustable, rudder pedals are.

Aerobatic for the usual things except - I think - snap manouvres.

Glides like a brick.

That's all I can remember about them!

djpil
8th Sep 2002, 08:58
The flight manuals that came with the Australian built Airtourers did not permit flick rolls. Airtourer 100, SN 159, was mine and I got it approved for flick rolls in Australia. When NZ took over the design all the variants were approved for flick rolls. I have a letter from the NZ authority, dated 22/8/73, to confirm it. Entry speeds are 70 kts IAS except for the T6 which is 80 kts. At the time of the letter the T3 (130 hp) hadn't "yet been formally approved". The letter goes on to say that the UK intended doing their own testing. It was always a pleasure dealing with NZ. The letter even described the technique:
"Recommended entry technique involves application of full power as rotation commences. The ailerons tend to snatch in the direction of the roll and should be followed through. The rotation is quite fast with a noticeable 'oil-canning' from the rear fuselage at commencement, and again at 180deg rotation."
Its nowhere near as fast a rotation as a Pitts or even a Cessna 150. Regarding the aileron snatching - NZ removed the aileron spring so you may not experience that.
The T6 goes around quite nicely - it doesn't have the stall breaker strips!
Of course avalanche loops are next on the agenda.
I wonder if the new $400 flight manuals include flick rolls.