PDA

View Full Version : Captain 737 looking for direct entry position in Canada

Up and Away Again
3rd Sep 2002, 17:14
I'm looking to move from the UK to Canada.

Does any company hire direct entry captains? If not how long do you have to slog it out in the right hand seat before hopping over to the left?(if you can trust these companies)

Any info appreciated,

Thanks.

Propsareforkids
5th Sep 2002, 01:11
You stand a better chance of getting the right seat job on the Space Shuttle, than direct entry captain on a Boeing here. And, if you're lucky you might transition to the left seat in 4 or 5 years.

Best of luck.

ps: If you can work in the USA, try Jetblue. You can see the left seat of the A320 in about 18 months. And, they will train you.

All the best...

Up and Away Again
5th Sep 2002, 08:22
Thanks for the reply.

It just doesn't seem worth the bother especially with the dismal salary they pay. Looks like the companies over there are still in the dark ages!!:D

Panama Jack
5th Sep 2002, 15:09
Hmmm, arogant.

It might be the dark ages here, but at least it's OUR dark ages!!! :D

Huron Topp
5th Sep 2002, 16:04
My old man retires next July from Air Canada after 35 years. You want me to put in a good word for ya? Maybe you'd like to hop right into his seat?:rolleyes:

Up and Away Again
6th Sep 2002, 10:16
Sorry Guys I didn't mean it quite like that.................

m&v
6th Sep 2002, 21:55
Having the '37 endorsement might be an asset with WestJet in Calgary. Poss Canjet out of Halifax. No direct entry capt's though,far too many of the keen(paid for all the licences themselves)candidates.. :rolleyes:

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2002, 02:15
I know you didn't, but I could't refuse. Mine was a bastardization of Franklin D Roosevelt's quote: "He may be a SOB, but at least he's our SOB!!!" We're not "proud" of our dark ages either.

justcurious
7th Sep 2002, 05:17
So, Huron,

What's your dad driving? If it's a boeing, then maybe you could put in good word for ME!

Just curious though, will my lack of: heavy, jet, glass, military, college or language skills hold me back?

schleprock
10th Sep 2002, 16:16
One of the above posts mentions that CanJet pilots paid for their own PPC's. I used to be one of CanJets pilots and I am now at WestJet. Just to set the record straight, the Pilots at CanJet DID NOT pay for their own PPC's. You are thinking of Jetsgo and the MD-83's.

CanJet could possibly hire direct left seat if need be.

As far as WestJet goes, it takes approximately 2 years to go left seat here.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Schlep

6feetunder
11th Sep 2002, 11:37
If you are calling Jetblue a dismal salary then maybe the brand new Captain I had a few beers with was telling porkies. He said it was around US$140,000. Not bad I would think.

Now sometimes the guys in the states quote pay per hour and that still ain't bad at US$140/hr.

Maybe I missed something...

Up and Away Again
12th Sep 2002, 09:55
Not bad but about $61000 canadian dollars less than a uk salary and thats with an average uk company.

Mike Kuhn
12th Sep 2002, 16:36
After paying U.K. or CA. taxes, the US dark ages salaries don't look so bad. The take home pay is the only one that really counts!

Up and Away Again
13th Sep 2002, 10:57
Yes, very true. The cost of living also makes a big difference.

Whats the tax rate in the states?

Mike Kuhn
13th Sep 2002, 19:05
New capt. about 25%. IRS site has the tax scales.

Up and Away Again
14th Sep 2002, 15:08
Well that does make a difference then.
Noy very good job stability at the moment though although we're all suffering in one form or another :)

Mike,

I see your name mentioned on another regional airline forum.

Your company flies caravans?

I only ask because I used to fly them out of Kenya and really used to enjoy it.
Those were the best days of my career.

Mike Kuhn
16th Sep 2002, 15:11
We operated DHC-6s for years. Started replacing the -6s with 208s 10yrs ago. Last twatter went 3yrs ago. We operate 8 208Bs in a 14 pax configuration. Sell 4 seats and the op cost is covered. Easy to maintain, real easy to fly. Perfect equipment for C.A.

Up and Away Again
16th Sep 2002, 17:52
I was wondering why the old company I flew for was smiling so much when then kept filling up the C-208.

Not quite as good as the twotter for very short strips. I never had a major problem with one after 1700 hours.

I think the main problem people had with it was the lack of another engine. But after some gentle reasurrance from us pilots they all relaxed and enjoyed it.

I must admit that I enjoyed the C-208 more than the 737, probably because of the challenging strips etc.

Whats Belize like? I looked it up on a travel guide seems like a tropical paradise. Is there a lot of crime there like Kenya?

Yossarian
18th Sep 2002, 06:43
Schleprock mentioned earlier an outfit called Jetsgo, operating MD83s. Sorry to chip in, but is this company still operating?