PDA

View Full Version : Eidw Atc

VORTIME
2nd Sep 2002, 23:22
To all Dublin ATC...

always wonder how you feel about the light aircraft at the field? open questions.

personally, I'd like to say thanks for always being so helpful...

VT

Spearing Britney
4th Sep 2002, 13:57
I think its more how Dublin ATC feel about aircraft on the field at all!!! One day, in a large commercial airliner, just as the wheels left the tarmac a very irate Dublin ATCO said "ABC123, that was far too long on the runway" and then cleared the next aircraft to land (clearly therefore really pushed for time). Unfortunately I failed to reply with 'thats how long it takes one of these to take off'.:D

No but seriously, the A team at Dublin is A or A- compared to anywhere, the B team there needs us to invent a new alpabet...

Aunt Rimmer
6th Sep 2002, 23:27
I'm surprised you get any light aircraft. I was quoted €230 (UKP£150) to bring a PA28 in for 3 hrs for an ATC liaison visit.

Needless to say we went to Sligo instead for €10 (UKP£6). That, folks, is called taking the ****. In fact it's probably more than RYR pays for a 737. I won't complain about the BAA again ... and no you can't have that in writing!!

look out de window
8th Sep 2002, 22:56
No controller is going to criticise the lenght of the take off run of an aircraft, however, if you are cleared for take off and you don't roll within a couple of seconds, well then criticisim deserved.

To address the original thread, ATCO's try to facillitate light aircraft as much as posible, but line traffic always has priority

Aunt Rimmer
9th Sep 2002, 21:20
L.O.D.W - is that the real price to land a PA28, or did I just get someone on a bad/not interested day ? Still looking to fly over and visit your ops, but not at that price.

Auntie

VORTIME
9th Sep 2002, 21:32
Dublin Airport is run by idiots (friends of the government party) - of course you'll get a wack of a landing fee when you arrive :)

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=502313&issue_id=5163

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=502318&issue_id=5163

Spearing Britney
9th Sep 2002, 21:38
Look out de window - Rolling take-off, power up prior to entering 28 (is a slight uphill) checks complete, couldnt have been done any faster.

Sorry but you boys in the B-team at Dubln run the worst major single runway airport in Europe.
:(

Scott Voigt
10th Sep 2002, 03:48
Wow, I knew that it was expensive over there... At DFW GA still only gets charged $25 for a landing fee... ( well the small ones anyway.)

regards

N Reg Aztec
13th Sep 2002, 16:36
Any of the folks in Dublin willing to offer a visit to the tower at DUB? Is this possible to arrange?

I'm a private flying Multi CPL IR and would be quite interested to see how things work on this side of the Atlantic - having had the opportunity to visit a tower in the US last year (pre 9/11).

I'm from Dublin originally but now in the UK but coming over for the weekend of the 21-23 Sept if anything can be arranged?

Thanks.
:cool:

VORTIME
13th Sep 2002, 19:47
As an IR student, I'd sure be interested if it could be arranged also.

VT

look out de window
15th Sep 2002, 22:16
A week ago I would have said no problem, however, belive it or not an ex-con, who happened to be an undercover reporter for the Irish Sunday Mirror, lied on his application and got a job as a security guard in the control tower building. long story short, large article in the paper, with pictures and promises of juicy documents, leading to security going nuts over the last week.

Your best bet is to contact IAA H.Q. in Aviation House, Hawkins Street, Dublin 2, phone no. ++353 1 671 8655 and ask them.

VORTIME
15th Sep 2002, 23:15
Why do a**holes mess it up for the rest of us. First no jumpseats, now no visits to the tower? What next?

Not blaming anyone other than those who create the threat in the first place.

I suppose I won't be too keen on taking in visitors but what about those with Pilot's licences that are known locally (from flight plans etc)?

flower
16th Sep 2002, 10:45
I went on a liason visit as a fellow ATCO to Dublin about 4 years back , you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of people.
Are you still allowed to smoke in the ops room??

david viewing
20th Sep 2002, 10:01
If in a PA28, suggest you try Weston 7mi S of EIDW. (Should be called 'wild weston'). Traffic everywhere but very friendly.

It's greatly improved in the last couple of months with new ramp, management, even car hire available. Ldg fee 15 Euro.

They have new proceedure at last for Easterly departure - enquire when you are there.