PDA

View Full Version : Job Prospects - Career As A FI

Piper Warrior Pilot
2nd Sep 2002, 22:12
I am just about to begin my PPL, i think, about bloody time as well, and im planning on studying at college for my A levels, leaving college, getting a Career Development Loan or Professional Studies loan to pay for hour building, multi rating, night rating, etc... and Instructors rating before getting a job as a flight instrucotr to pay back the loans and hopefully start to pay for my ATPL. Something along the lines of that anyway. What i was wanting to know is, how much does a Flight Instrucotr make per year roughly.

Other than that i can get my PPL, get a job in cabin crew, work my ass off, get the money to pay for training and do it that way.

So many different routes.

MJR
3rd Sep 2002, 08:15
A FI(R) will earn £12 -£15K a year full time if they are lucky. My advice would be to only instruct full time when all your over ratings are in place and payed for as you will barely be able to live on an instructors salary let alone save for further training. Alternatively instruct part time. I presently instruct 1 day a week and manage to get 25% of the hours my full time colleagues get working 5 days a week.

cheers

MJR

Dr.Evil 2002
3rd Sep 2002, 08:23
Are there actually many FI jobs about right now or is it the same story as with the big boys?
Also, have any of you guys noticed a drop in students taking a PPL or additional ratings?

kwaiyai
3rd Sep 2002, 10:04
I'm a partime instructor right now and there does seem to be enough work around for the full timers and A bit for me. That hasnt changed much at the club I'm at. Theres a new school started nearby which tell me things are picking up. As for jobs I'm waiting on a job at a large FTO abroad (not Jerez) but its certainly quieter than a couple of years ago.
Regards.:)