PDA

View Full Version : First ATC Interview

BryanC123
31st Aug 2002, 15:10
Hey, I have just been lucky enough to get invited to a first interview for ATC. I am at the moment studying the recommended reading material but i was just wondering if any of you old wise heads have any tips, dos and donts for the day.

All help appreciated........:D :D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2002, 15:44
DON'T forget the French maid's outfit with the transparent blouse and bagpipes.... it worked for me!

Seriously, apart from mugging up on what you've been advised to probably the most important thing is to keep a cool head. If they ask straight questions THINK for a few seconds before answering - don't rush in with the first thing which enters your head. If you don't know the answer don't waffle, just tell them you don't know. If they enter into a discussion then put forward your personal views on the matter honestly and don't be overawed by the situation.

I wish you all the luck in the world and let us know how you get on.

5milesbaby
1st Sep 2002, 14:32
Scan through the previous threads in this forum about this, you'll find there are loads of them, and get a good picture of what to expect. In some of them you'll find a link by Goldfish Watcher to a site he's downloaded loads of info on. (if you're lucky, he may even post it on here at some point).

Secondly get along to at least ONE place and witness ATC in action. If able, do both a NATS airfield and centre, and also a non-NATS place and compare and contrast. For the NATS places, the recruitment office in London can give you contact details.

Thirdly, if you don't know huge amounts about ATC (ie not a spotter or descended from pilot/controller etc), go to the library and peruse any ATC and airport books they have, background knowledge is important.

easily found the link by Goldfish Watcher, goto:

thispage (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radar2001/resources/ATCO1.htm)

and have a look!!

BryanC123
2nd Sep 2002, 17:58
Cheers..............Will buy u a pint if succuessful :rolleyes:

atccmm
3rd Sep 2002, 12:50
I completely agree with visiting a NATS and Non-NATS unit. I was lucky enough to get myself into a small, tower only, airfield with about 3 movements a day. It seemed to impress the interviewers quite a lot. If you visit an airfield outside Controlled airspace (there are quite a lot of small ones), then you will find the interviewers know less about them and so won't ask you as many awkward questions.

BobAgg
3rd Sep 2002, 17:44
Congratulations on getting the Interview!

I'm just wondering if it's the first Interview ie Aptitude tests or the REAL Interview, ie having passed the tests etc.?

Visiting a unit or two is a must, but if it's the Aptitude test your taking and not the final interview, I'd hang fire on the visits' until you get through the tests, so it's all fresh in your mind when you go for the final interview!

I've just been through the process and from applying to getting accepted took nearly 4 months! I know someone who applied 17 weeks ago, and only got a test date through yesterday!

Good luck when the day comes, need any help let me know!

Cheers!