PDA

View Full Version : Skills test - any tips?

Evo7
31st Aug 2002, 09:30
Skills test on Monday. Weather looking good, and getting nervous. :eek: :eek:

I've read the CAA skills test standards document (wish I hadn't) and been doing some searching here, but any tips or tales from the trenches gratefully received. Particularly interested in what to read up on for the Q&A bit - I remember a good thread here back in the past, but of course I cannot find it now... :)

AerBabe
31st Aug 2002, 10:15
Yeah... don't mess up ;)

Okay...lecture time! Your instructor won't let you take it unless s/he thinks you're ready. It does no-one any favours for you to enter and fail. Have you met your examiner? If not, try and do so before Monday, just so you know s/he's a real person!

Remember there's no hurry on the test (as long as it's not getting dark!). Take your time with the planning, and the pre-flight, but not too long, or the examiner might think you don't know what you're doing! Make sure they see you doing things, such as checking paperwork etc. Treat it like your driving test. Everyone knows you don't need to move your head much too look in the mirror, but it shows you are looking. So, for example, after take off ask your examiner to sit back while you look past them... use your arm to push them back if need be ;) Keep a good lookout at all times, and let them see you do it! Oh, and don't forget FREDA checks... even though there's a lot else to remember. Jot it on your flight plan somewhere if you think you might forget.

If something goes wrong during the test, the most likely explanation is the examiner has done something on purpose. If s/he's recently pointed to something outside the cockpit s/he might well have turned the fuel off, or pulled out a fuse, or moved the DI while you're not looking. Don't panic! Check the obvious things first.

If you think you've messed something up, try not to worry. I think you get two goes at the handling parts of the test. You could consider asking to do something again if you're not too happy with it, letting the examiner know you realise there was a problem! Remember, if s/he doesn't stop the test, you've not failed! There's also the option of a limited pass (can't remember the official term) when you will be asked to refly part of the test on a later date. The examiner isn't there to catch you out, just to make sure you're safe.

Anything you're not sure about you should discuss with the examiner on the ground before you go. All that can be done on the ground should be!

And finally, enjoy it!!! It's actually really good fun, one of the best flights I've ever done :)

rustle
31st Aug 2002, 10:33
Sound advice from AerBabe. (BTW, it's called a "partial pass" if you fluff one section)

Couple of things - the CAA doc is a guideline for examiners. All the examiners I have spoken to (including four CAAFU ones) have stated that the "real" test for them is "Would I let this person fly my spouse and/or children about?"

Sounds cliched, but worth remembering...

Do as much "prep" on the ground as possible. Make sure you read the NOTAMs ;) and MET.

Also, simple things like RPS and when to change it, fuel log, ETAs, and, as AerBabe said, FREDA and other checks.

"Announce" them when you do them - it's easy to think examiner will see you do them, but TELL them you're doing them. (I still say them out aloud now, with or without PAX!)

And DO enjoy it -- what a fantastic way to spend a Monday :) :)

HTH

englishal
31st Aug 2002, 11:07
I made a bit of a balls up of the PFL...well, I would have got down, just not in the most desirable spot...(old dis-used airstrip, and I came in far to high, so I told the examiner that I was going for a field instead)....Anyway, it was no big deal, the examiner took me up the next day for just the PFL and I passed no problem. He was pretty good actually, showed me how he would do it, then made me do it about 10 times, pointing out any little errors I was making, and making me do it again until it was perfect....

Good luck !

EA:)

rustle
31st Aug 2002, 11:30
I didn't add anything about the Q&A bit - here goes:

Know your aeroplane:

Know how much fuel it burns/hour, and that if it's "half-full" that is "X" gals/litres and will last "Y" hours.

Know Vy and Vx. Know the flap limiting speeds. (If complex know the gear speeds).

Know Va, and what it means.

Understand the difference between "utility" and "normal" W&B.

Know what happens to attitude with (initial) flap - does it pitch up or down?

Know what you're checking when you do the "A" check - that's a good time for questions to be asked... (i.e. don't just do it by rote)

Know how the paperwork works at your club/school -- you'll have to show examiner you can complete tech. log etc.

And when you do the stalls and steep turns -- DON'T forget your HASELL/HELL checks...

HTH-2 :)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
31st Aug 2002, 12:28
Don't Crash!

I'm not joking. A teenage girl was unfortunate enough to recently crash when on finals towards the end of her skills test. Whilst not wishing to speculate about the reason (aircraft written-off), full marks for climbing back into another aircraft and successfully completing her test a week later.

Bluebeard
31st Aug 2002, 20:34
The number one thing to consider is:

the examiner is looking for you to be a safe pilot, not a perfect one. You will make mistakes during the skills test but don't become overly fixated with them. At worst you will have only failed that section, at best the examiner will not even notice. I have only met a couple of examiners and both have been very nice guys and gave the impression they wanted me to pass.

Good luck!
:cool:

Tinker
31st Aug 2002, 23:50
If you're ready it will be a walk in the park. Unfortunately the pressure of it being a test changes that. Know your checklists inside out and back to front to take some pressure off the actual flying and try to be as 'laid back' as possible. After all there is no need to be concerned, your instructor knows you are ready for it and s/he has nothing to gain by throwing you into a test if you are lacking in the appropriate skills.
Take your time, trim to allow yourself time to do all your tasks at leisure and keep a very good look out. It's good airmanship but more to the point, loads of brownie points in a skills test.

Good luck (although that doesn't really come into it):D

Currymonster
1st Sep 2002, 01:17
My examiner asked what speeds I was going to climb at.. vx/vy etc. Q & A section OK so long as you have a general background knowledge of the aircraft.
If you make a balls up, put it behind you and get on with the next phase. I was convinced I had failed so thought sod it I'm going to enjoy the rest of the flight.
Above all Good Luck and give it to them...

AerBabe
1st Sep 2002, 08:31
When you're flying a PFL, make all your actions crisp and decisive. There are no marks for style here, you're just trying to get down safely. And near a pub if possible. When you're making your turns do so smartly. Use plenty of rudder/aileron to put yourself where you want to be. Don't fanny around trying to make it a gentle action! If you're too high, put down more flap, or weave around a bit. Oh well, I'm sure you know all this ;)
Weather looks good for the beginning of next week, so good luck, and I look forward to your thread on the test :)

surreyflyer
2nd Sep 2002, 07:10
Evo7, good luck. I have mine on Wednesday, know how you must be feeling!!

Look forward to your report:D

Julian
2nd Sep 2002, 07:22
I had the same problem as EA, always cocked up my PFLs so went and did loads until I could judge them properly (I was high every time before then!).

My tip...know your weather...one guy on my course wasnt even allowed in the aircraft because he misjudged the cloud base. Had to go for a retest!

RotorHorn
2nd Sep 2002, 07:31
Check your equipment before you go - especially the headsets. I had to do my skills test with the club headsets - which didn't work that well.

When the examiner said 'practice engine failure GO!" I didn't hear him...

then I noticed he was staring at me..

and I said '...pardon...?' :D:D:D

Still passed.... ;)

Try and imagine he's your Mum or something - they usually give you the 'I'm an interested non-flyer speech' that means, you can't ask me technical questions on route ("should I be squaking 7000 here..?" , but you can explain what you're doing ("I'm going to set it down in that field there, as this one's ful of rapeseed which is about waistdeep this time of year...").

Good luck mate!

Who has control?
2nd Sep 2002, 07:52
Good Luck Evo - please let us know how you got on.

G SXTY
2nd Sep 2002, 10:28
Good luck mate! I'm a few weeks behind you, so I can feel the tension!

Grim Reaper 14
2nd Sep 2002, 11:52
So?!?!?! Tellus your success story, and spare no detail, however small.:)