PDA

View Full Version : Very nice man

formationfoto
26th Aug 2002, 19:53
It is fashionable to have a go at officials so I thought I would like to demonstrate how unfashionable I can be by making positive noises about a member of the body which governs our flying activities.

I was involved in an open day and flying display at a small South East private air strip. Word got out that a man from the CAA was going to turn up to check up on us and the display. For some this was like having the VAT man in and caused a rush and panic to make sure that we had all our paperwork filed properly, signs fully polished etc.

Came the day and said gentleman with the advanced reputation of ogre turned up to witness events. He arrived in Jodel - no King Air or chauffer driven car. It transpires that this person who has the duty to control such things as air displays and exemptions from the low flying regulations in the ANO was happy to chat about my plans to get a formation DA and to display early De Havilland types. He was an ordinary guy who got into the job he is now doing from private flying and simple display flying with the Tiger Club. Absolutely one of us.

He has an important job to do to ensure safety but does it sensibly without trying to appear in any way superior.

I will be seeking my provisional DA shortly and I know where to turn for advice.

stiknruda
26th Aug 2002, 21:25
Very nice man! For a second I thought you were going to name and shame me!!

I rang said chap a few weeks ago about obtaining a DA and he could not have been more helpful. In fact I recall telling you all about my pleasant experience.

Thank you for introducing me to him yesterday, had I known he was visiting your wonderful facility I would have pre-arranged that he as a DAE, signed off my provisional, even if it meant that Saturday's dinner party would have ended sooner than 5am, hence my arrival Mrs Stik's landy!

Let's book him and do it together, aeros, tailchase and formation DA sign-off?

Stik

WorkingHard
27th Aug 2002, 05:41
My experience over a great many years sems to be at odds with many threads I read here. I have always found the CAA staff to be friendly and helpful and more than willing to suggest ways of achieving desired aims. If not then clear coherent reasons why a certain course is taken or not allowed. Keep up the good work.

FlyingForFun
27th Aug 2002, 09:35
I have always found individuals at the CAA to be very helpful.

The problems with the CAA seem to stem from lack of responsiveness (presumably due to under-staffing?), and perceived excessive charges. Most people seem to agree that, once you actually get to speak to someone, they will generally be friendly and get your query resolved quicly and easily.

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience and had an enjoyable day! :)

FFF
---------------

formationfoto
28th Aug 2002, 16:12
Stik
Just spoken to the nice man again and he is suggesting a DAE but offered that he might be able to provide his services at Old Buck where an exemption is in place. Now all we have to work on is formating the Pitts and the Chipmunk to get the formation part sorted.
Hope to talk to him again next week.
After that we need to plan. I guess our needs are slightly different but I'm sure we can combine the process somehow.

stiknruda
28th Aug 2002, 19:40
FF- roger.

Am friendly with 2 other DAEs if OB fails.

Quite like to do aeros down to 400' and 200' fly by which I understand is the entry step level.

Did you progress with the C's in LPL or Kernow?

Have been asked to babysit an A but sure that there will be a catch - financially penalising probably, knowing who is involved! ;)

Have been invited to Boxted on Sunday, let me know if you are interested.

Stik

sunnysideup
28th Aug 2002, 21:53
Be really nice to know just who this nice man is!!!

A and C
29th Aug 2002, 08:24
Most of the people from the CAA who have a qualification to work in the industry are more that helpful and I,v got nothing bad to say about 99.9% of them , this however must not distract us from the fact that FCL is the worst licencing authority that i have ever had to deal with.

I shall soon have to deal with the engineer licencing section that has been taken over by FCL it will be interesting to see if that well run section has been affected by the change.

As most people on this forum only come into contact with the CAA via FCL it is hardly a surprize that there veiw is a bit jaded but in the background there are a lot of well run sections of the CAA staffed by people who doing a good job and I find it such a pity that the overall reputation of the CAA is tarnished so badly by one section.

Penguina
29th Aug 2002, 11:52
As someone who works in another regulatory civil service department, I can assure you that people tend to choose to do these jobs because of an interest in the thing they are dealing with, or a passion to play a part in an area that they see as important.

I am constantly on the phone to irate and defensive members of the public who assume straight away that we are out to get them. This is certainly not the case, quite the reverse, but it is - unfortunately - true that things can get beaurocratic and time consuming when you push so much paper around a complicated network of bodies.

So when you are being pushed through a procedure, it can be boring, slow and problematic, but as soon as there is personal contact and someone on the inside is on your side, we are helpful. I can't speak for the CAA, but I'm sure it's exactly the same story with FCL.