PDA

View Full Version : Live ATC online

Rugz
20th Aug 2002, 21:38
Been listening to Chicago's O'Hara approach ATC tonight which is enlightening, and a must for any ATC wannabes.

However, I can't find any UK based ones. Are they online or does some law prevent it or something?

bagpuss lives
20th Aug 2002, 23:11
Hi there,

This wouldn't be allowed under the Wireless and Telgraphy act 1949 which you can find on the web somewhere.

Also covers scanners and suchlike.

hth

foo fighting
20th Aug 2002, 23:16
Any such idea should not be allowed to stop any freak listening in and then giving out "instructions" on a handheld piece of equipment.

Unauthorised r/t has been a problem over recent years so any online access should be banned.

bookworm
21st Aug 2002, 11:19
If the "freak" already has a handheld transceiver, why would he need or want to be online? I would have thought putting ATC audio online would tend to reduce the probability that an enthusiast would go and buy such a piece of equipment.

Findo
21st Aug 2002, 11:41
I read somewhere that there was a test broadcast from Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember the circumstances but it was something to do with promoting the airport. No real rason why this should not become more common in the near future.

MayorQuimby
21st Aug 2002, 14:12
It would be very valuable for someone like me (an SPL, training at an uncontrolled field) to learn RT. I could plug in during the day at work and learn by osmosis!

bagpuss lives
21st Aug 2002, 15:10
You could always buy a scanner then. You can pick very decent models up for around £200 right now.

I didn't tell you any of this of course - cos it aint allowed :D

tired
23rd Aug 2002, 20:45
rugz - what's the Web address for ORD's ATC?

DistantRumble
26th Aug 2002, 12:35
Most of the LiveATC stuff on the web was taken down some time ago

DFW Ground is still available AFAIK (the founder's plaza stuff)

And if you visit BHX observation gallery you can listen to as much of it as you want to .... (free if you're travelling)

Simtech
26th Aug 2002, 15:58
As has been mentioned, there have been several cases of bogus ATC instructions being transmitted by morons with an airband radio. In the UK, these are easily available via mail order with no questions asked - as far as I know no supplier even asks to see a copy of a valid R/T licence before selling such a radio. Not foolproof I know, but wouldn't a requirement to provide proof of entitlement to use an airband radio before one could be purchased at least help the situation?

Bullseye Bandit
26th Aug 2002, 23:05
This is one that I have found

http://www.flightradio.com/liveatc.htm

radar707
26th Aug 2002, 23:26
There's also:

http://www.jfktower.com/liveatc.htm

They do KJFK, KORD and Southern California Approach

sejo
30th Aug 2002, 17:50
This one also has a (slightly delayed) graphical feed from a system called FLYTETRAX. It shows the Northeast Atlanta Macey Arrival in addition to an audio stream.

Was viewing/listening the other day when they had some fairly nasty weather en-route. Made things quite interesting...

http://www.atcmonitor.com