PDA

View Full Version : Instructor rating schools - advice?

Bob Fleming
18th Aug 2002, 17:58
anybody have any recommendations about where to do an instructor rating in this country?

also, what are the options like abroad - can you do a JAR rating to use in the UK and save a few pence in the process (like the USA or south africa)

advice gratefully received...

READY MESSAGE
18th Aug 2002, 19:16
Without any doubt recommend Dave Coulson at Cranfield Flying Club. Very experienced chap having been teaching the instructor rating for many many years and is one of the true characters of Cranfield. He has a very unique approach towards instructing and will turn anyone into a decent pilot. His approach can take a bit of getting used to but if you are prepared to give as much as he gives you, you'll get on fine with him.

Web site: www.aviationtrainingschool.com

Good look with the rating where ever you do it.

Crosswind Limits
18th Aug 2002, 19:40
Cheap FI(R) rating anyone?

Is it possible to get a JAA FI(R) rating for less than £5000 in the UK? If not, what about in the USA or South Africa?

Ta!

BEagle
18th Aug 2002, 21:22
When the CAA website is up again (currently it's crashed YET AGAIN), have a look at the FTOs providing instruction for the JAR-FCL FI(R) rating. If there are any that have been approved overseas, they'll be listed. Though frankly I doubt whether there are any.

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 23:04
Whoa there G-RICH.

Indeed you CAN teach for JAA on an FAA instructors ticket - just needs a short conversion course.

Having said that, I believe that Bob wants a JAA course - but not in the UK.

Only place I know of (that I would be able to say anything nice about) would be European Flight Training in Ft. Pierce, Florida (but have some nagging doubts at the time of writing - which I would have to check out first).

Personally - I would go with On-Track as already mentioned. Great bunch of guys - and VERY professional.

Despite the regulations allowing an FI course in USA - you will get a better end product if you stay "at home" (opinion - not necessarily fact!!).

G-SPOTs Lost
19th Aug 2002, 06:30
Try LFS at Leeds if you can get booked in, they are very busy.

Cost is sub 5k im sure, however this is very much the "rating of the moment" and supply & demand will probably prevail.

There is some good accomdation there as well

Charlie32
19th Aug 2002, 10:20
I did mine with Steve Marples at Aero Training in Newcastle. One man operation who offers courses which can be done full or part time. Uses a Slingsby T67C which allows decent demo of aerodynamic principles.
Cheap local accomodation is available. I would thoroughly recommend

Aer Ttraining's number is: 0191 388 5040, or 07905931694

SPEEDBIRD5FP
19th Aug 2002, 18:21
ANDREWSFIELD ANDREWSFIELD ANDREWSFIELD!!!
I can not recommend Andrewsfield enough, excellent place.
Both FI instructors (Carol, and Dick) are truly fantastic, they have around 35 000 hours experience between them on nothing bigger than a light twin, that is not a mis print. what they dont know, you could write on postage stamp stamp. The ground school thier was brilliant.
I do not work thier or for andrewsfield, i completed my fi ticket with them in april, only took 3 1/2 weeks from start to finish.
By co incidence it was also one of the cheapest, £4290 or something.
Give them a call, you wont regret it, or do a search for Andrewsfield aviation on the web.

Speedbird

Crosswind Limits
19th Aug 2002, 18:50
Thanks Speedbird5fp! Andrewsfield is relatively close to me, being about an hour away by car. I can therefore save money by staying at home. The price is great as well - hope it's all true!!

A and C
19th Aug 2002, 19:04
If you turn up in a place that has a lot of people with more gold bars that a south american dictator , all types of packages that you pay "up front " for , lots of glossy handouts and a lot of places to fly around london then you are about to spend a lot more money than you need to.

Take the advice on these pages and you will find that the same recomendations keep coming up these are at wycombe BAFC and WAC at white waltham WLAC , at stapleford the LFC.

There will be more recomendations i.m sure but you now have the ground rules to start your search for training at what ever level.

Bob Fleming
19th Aug 2002, 19:21
for all the information

gonewest is right in that I was thinking of doing a Jaa FIR overseas in order to use it in the UK, in much the same way as people do ppl's abroad.

having spoken to someone at cranfield I was told that the cost is more likely to be £7000 by the time you are all done paying for test fee and licence issue etc - so the £5000 is a bit of a red herring.

any opinions on that.

regards:)

MJR
20th Aug 2002, 07:49
Hi Bob,

You could try Aeros at Gloucester 01452 857419 the course weighs in at just under £5k. There are no extras apart from exam costs £350 and you may want to buy the instructors guide, about £35.

Be warned that if you have done your PPL abroad and intend to carry out your FIC course abroad you may well find difficulty in obtaining work in the UK. Some schools (Aeros in particular) are quite fussy about where instructors carry out there training and generally employ people who have trained with them, like many other schools. This helps to maintain a constant standard in the training leading to more efficient student progression. E-mail me direct if you wish for further information.

TTFN

MJR

http://www.aeros.co.uk

African Drunk
20th Aug 2002, 10:24
Aeros very good and so is on-track. For UK also try JEFTS (01400261201 ext 5002 tim or gary) who will take on some FI students to work training military pilots.

JAR approved school in SA is FTC is cheaper but not by much for FI course. Would check with Pete Goodwin at Bonus,Cranfield he has dealings with them and might give you full picture on there operation.

Did mine instructor with Pete at Aeros no complaints from me or any of my employers since.

FormationFlyer
21st Aug 2002, 09:01
Ditto above re: Aeros.

I also rate On-Track as well...just did an aerobatic instructor course with them.

Bob Fleming
21st Aug 2002, 20:40
thanks for all the advice and i'll look into on-track and others.

funny that nobody mentioned cab-air.....?

regards

BF

Loony_Pilot
22nd Aug 2002, 19:35
Hi,

I found Stapleford to be excellent, Keith Pogmore is an excellent FIC Instructor, plus you get to do the course in a PA28-161 so as well as flying the exercises, you get to sit in the back and watch another FIC student as well.. which I found pretty useful.
I also hear good things about Carol Cooper and co at Andrewsfield.
I didnt find Staplefords location a problem on the course for spinning/stalls etc.. it doesnt take too long to transit to airspace in anyway.

As with any form of training.. I'd recommend going to a few schools, looking around, get a feel for the place etc etc, and go where you feel happiest.
I dont think price is much of an issue as they are all around the 5k area all in.

Loony