PDA

View Full Version : Lelystad/Texel

Maarten
16th Aug 2002, 20:54
Could anyone with more experience than yours truly please help me with the following:
When planning a route to either Lelystad or Texel in the Netherlands, do you negotiate the Class A airspace around Schiphol (1500ft upwards) by asking for a SVFR or do you normally scud run below it? I fly to Midden Zeeland regularly but have never ventured further si any advice would be thankfully received.

Keef
16th Aug 2002, 22:03
I've never been round there above 1500 feet. I don't know if the Dutch Class A rules are the same as the UK, but if they are, you can't get SVFR in any Class A that isn't down to the surface. That would keep you firmly below 1500 feet unless you file IFR.

Landing lights on, and talk to the relevant ATC folks.

I suppose you could go "round the back way" past Soesterberg if you wanted a bit more air beneath you, although it's pretty flat round there...

Aerobatic Flyer
16th Aug 2002, 22:38
do you negotiate the Class A airspace around Schiphol (1500ft upwards) by asking for a SVFR or do you normally scud run below it?

I haven't been to either for about 4 years, but used to go to both regularly. Can't remember ever going any higher than 1200ft.

One of the many nice things about flying in Northern Holland is that there are no hills, and every field is suitable for a forced landing if the engine stops!

Some of the other nice things are Texel airfield, the restaurant at Texel airfield, the designated low flying areas (where you can practice forced landings down to very low level....) and realising that it's not a mistake when your altimeter gives a negative reading at Lelystad!

AC-DC
17th Aug 2002, 05:33
Fly below 1500' via RR, you will love it.

alphaalpha
17th Aug 2002, 09:57
I flew to Texel a couple of years ago under the Schipol TMA. 1000 feet or so just off the coast was absolutely fine. Depending on the landing runway at Schipol, you may have the jets flying above you. The whole island chain is a great area to fly in. Enjoy!

Archard
17th Aug 2002, 17:14
Was at Midden Zeeland Tuesday/Wednesday of this week and was very comfortable flying at 1400 feet due to the lack of hills, etc., all as mentioned in previous postings. Scenery stunning, also, but no experience of flying further south, unfortunately. Perhaps another year :)

Maarten
17th Aug 2002, 18:22
Thanks everybody for all the good advice.
As I was a little tight for time I didn't make it any further than Midden Zeeland (again!) but will certainly do the sub 1500 sortie further north at the next opportunity. Texel sound great!

FWA NATCA
17th Aug 2002, 20:24
Maarten,

In the US we call those pilots who prefer to run the scud than deal with air traffic "Future Statistics".

Call ATC and receive the services that your hard earned tax dollars pay for.

Mike
FWA

Keef
17th Aug 2002, 22:02
FWA - trouble is, in Europe it's not our tax dollars that pay for it :(

If you're over a certain weight and IFR, you PAY.

Most parts of the London and Amsterdam TMAs are Class A, no VFR allowed, so the great unwashed with no IR *have* to scud-run underneath - or stay away.

WeatherJinx
19th Aug 2002, 10:32
Keef
Most parts of the London and Amsterdam TMAs are Class A, no VFR allowed, so the great unwashed with no IR *have* to scud-run underneath - or stay away.
...if that's being the great unwashed, then here's my soap :D - I did this particular scud-run into EHLE on a beautiful weekday early evening a couple of months back - most excellent fun it is too!

Jx:cool:

Keef
19th Aug 2002, 17:10
WxJx - oh indeed! I thoroughly enjoy such flying. When the Wx is clear, it's the perfect way to fly.

There's not much chance of getting an IFR clearance through the TMA at a "pleasant" height anyway, because of all the heavy metal cavorting about up there.

Thanks for the soap - I've had my annual shower now (was out in that CB on Sunday).