PDA

View Full Version : Calling mayday and transponder codes

big.al
16th Aug 2002, 11:24
Continuing in the recent vein of 'what if...?' scenarios posted here recently....

In May, at an uncontrolled a/f in Florida, I had to make a forced landing because of an engine that was about to die on me (and it did die, when taxying off the runway). Confident that I would make the runway I did not call mayday but instead made an 'air to ground' call advising all traffic on the aerodrome frequency (a Unicom freq) that I was making an immediate forced landing on the non-active runway as I had no time or power to join the circuit and get around to the active.

Not wanting to create havoc with local ATC I did not squawk 7700. But this has led me to think... what if?

Let's say I'm currently on a A/G frequency (and need to declare an emergency). I understand that the general rule is make a mayday/pan call on the frequency already in use, and then only switch to 121.5 if you cannot raise anyone.

So now I'm talking to a local airfield about my emergency and then set the transponder to 7700; I gather that claxons will sound and alarm bells ring at ATC stations. But since I'm not talking to ATC/LARS, they're only going to know that someone has an emergency and roughly where the emergency is (from SSR). They won't know who I am or what the problem is, or what my intentions are (or whether they need to send help/fire brigade/local clergy...).

So if I squawk a 7--- emergency code, should I also switch to 121.5 to make the mayday so they know what's going on? In a real emergency there would be precious little time to make TWO mayday calls, so who am I better off talking to?

Your words of advice and wisdom for a newly qualified PPL are appreciated....

Thanks!

Aussie Andy
16th Aug 2002, 11:35
As you were confident of reaching the field, I would have done as you did on the A/G frequency only as this has benefits of a) letting others in the circuit know whats going on, and b) less time consuming for you. I might have used "PAN PAN" x3 as well though, just to be sure I had everyone's attention!

redsnail
16th Aug 2002, 12:23
Sounds like you did the right thing given your circumstances.

A general thought, it is far easier to down grade an emergency to a pan than it is to upgrade.... (thinking of workload)

goatgruff
16th Aug 2002, 18:27
If you can, always, always try and select the emergency code.
If you have time, make a broadcast on 121.5.

There are a number of reasons for this:

1 - An emergency squawk can often be located by the appropriate Distress and Diversion (D & D) authority, even if you are in an area of poor radar cover. Even if the squawk is only be seen for 10 seconds or so, it's enough to set off the alarm bells, and hopefully get a fix.

2 - In the same respect, even if you're in an area of poor radio cover, a brief transmission on 121.5 is often enough to get a DF fix, especially if it's combined with an emergency squawk.

3 - You'd be suprised at how many aircraft actually listen out on 121.5 as an operational procedure. Even an ground station can't hear you, an aircraft probably will, and be able to relay messages to and from you.

I know that in the heat of the moment, it's a lot to cope with, but it may make the difference between coming out alive or not.

I would strongly recommend that you practise the scenario with a flying colleague on a regular basis, and also do the same thing with the appropriate D & D centre.
Laid down procedures for doing this should be available at you club, Flight Service Station, or local ATC unit.

FWA NATCA
17th Aug 2002, 03:22
big.al,

My opinion you did the exact right thing. You were close enough to an un-controlled airport to safely land, IT WAS important that you broadcast on the CAF that you had an emergency and were making a straight in approach so that anyone else in the pattern would get out of your way.

"The most important thing in any emergency is to FLY THE AIRPLANE."

Selecting 7700 (emergency) in your transponder sets off an alarm in the radar rooms. If you are VFR and not being worked by ATC, your data tag displays a V (limited data block which means you are VFR), and your altitude. If you are being worked by ATC we will have your tail number, sometimes your type acft, altitude, and airspeed in the data block. Selecting 7700 will FLASH EM in your data block, on any controllers radar screen that can see your transponder.

Depending on the situation and IF you have time, AND you are squawking 7700, it would be helpful to the radar facility that you broadcast your situation on the EMERGENCY Frequency, this will allow ATC to dispatch the appropriate assistance. I guarantee that since 9/11, someone WILL hear you and WILL respond, it will either be an air traffic facility or another acft (usually an air carrier up at flight levels).

In the event that you are unable to declare an emergency on the emergency frequency, and you did squawk 7700, it would be helpful that you either broadcasted on the emergency frequency after you were down, for someone to relay to the nearest air traffic facility that you are safely on the ground or that you need assistance, or to call FSS or the nearest air traffic facility on a telephone or a cell phone.

If you squawked 7700 and air traffic control saw it and watched you go down they will immediately call the local airport and probably the local sherriff department (Police) to have someone search for you just in case you did crash. ATC will also try to get another acft to look for you and ask if anyone can see you going down so that they can follow you and report whether or not you crashed.

Mike
FWA

englishal
17th Aug 2002, 08:54
I believe you acted in the correct way. The only time I would switch to 121.5 is if I was in a remote area and not already talking to someone.7700 is a bit academic in your situation, you were in the vicinity of an airport, already talking on the radio, and I think using 7700 would probably cause more fuss than nescessary (its not going to re-start your engine for you;)).

However had you squawked 7700 and landed safely at an unciontrolled field, it would certainly be worth a call on the RT to the local approach control / centre frequency and tell them you made it down ok. If you can't raise them, possibly ask someone to relay your msg, or if there is no one, a call on 121.5 and ask to relay, or finally a call from a good old fashioned phone to either the tracon / centre / 1800WXBrief.

Cheers
EA:)

GoneWest
17th Aug 2002, 12:32
Big.al - couple of thoughts (nothing too exciting).

Don't forget that your transponder is interrogated by numerous ATC facilities at the same time - but if you have a problem (and a total engine failure IS a problem) let them all know with that 7700.

If you come back to a Florida field, the FAA would prefer you to use the term "Non Towered" instead of "uncontrolled" (they tell me they are trying to stop the media doing stories about pilots flying "out of control" when they have a quiet news day).

Re: Aussie Andy's comment - I think I would still have used the term Mayday to attract everybodies attention at the local field - not a pan call (as was said later [redsnail]), it's far easier to downgrade the situation than it is to increase the tension. Especially in the USA - you may find students and pilots who do not understand the term "Pan", but they understand Mayday - and will react a bit better for you).

I'm interested in FWA's comment of "post 9/11" somebody WILL hear you - as goatgruff said, many people monitor 121.5 (I certainly do when I have two radios) and I helped a C172 between Orlando and Tampa two years ago.....which was being ignored by both Tampa and Orlando when transmitting on 121.5 to ask for assistance.

And depending on the interpretation of Englishal's comment - if I were in a remote area and not talking to any particular airfield - I would ALREADY be on 121.5

FWA NATCA
17th Aug 2002, 20:21
GoneWest,

Priort to 9/11 most pilots did not monitor 121.5, now anyone with a second radio monitors it, which now just about ensures that if someone yells may day someone will hear you.

You are right that Pan Pan is rarely used, in fact I haven't heard it used by anyone since 1976.

Seriously, I would rather someone squawk 7700 and yell mayday and broadcast that they are having a problem, like someone said, it is far easier to downgrade an emergency than upgrade it at the last few precious seconds.

Mike R

GoneWest
17th Aug 2002, 20:35
FWA (Mike)...

What troubled me is that neither Tampa Approach nor Orlando Approach would respond to the calls for help on 121.5 (until I did).

englishal
18th Aug 2002, 11:28
And depending on the interpretation of Englishal's comment - if I were in a remote area and not talking to any particular airfield - I would ALREADY be on 121.5
Good point, but what I was thinking of is a situation like I have experienced in California, where you can be talking to SOCAL and they tell you that radio contact MAY be lost and if you haven't heard from them by XXXX to call YYYY on 123.45......Not good to change off tracon frequency just in case, but also comms not guaranteed.

Cheers
EA:)

BlueLine
18th Aug 2002, 20:37
The State of Emergency described meets the definition of URGENCY not DISTRESS therefore the correct call is PAN PAN. Whilst this may be well understood in the UK some other States may not be quite as familiar with the meaning, though they should be. It would not normally be appropriate to squawk 7700 unless asked.

If the state of Emergency warrants a DISTRESS call (Life is in imminent danger) then you want to attract all possible attention. Make a MAYDAY call on the frequency in use regardless of who it is, they are likely to have your current details; Squawk 7700, Bells are wonderfiul things to get noticed. Only change to 121.5 if asked, or if you cannot raise anyone on the working frequency.

You can always downgrade an Emergency Message, if you don't declare one you don't get special attention!

FWA NATCA
18th Aug 2002, 21:16
GoneWest,

>What troubled me is that neither Tampa Approach nor Orlando Approach would respond to the calls for help on 121.5 (until I did).

That is regretful, but for example at my facility, we get bleed over on 121.5 and our ATIS whenever FSS talks to a pilot on 121.2, we hear a lot of pilots that are accidentally transmitting pattern work on 121.5 at nearby uncontrolled airports, and air carriers trying to call their operations. What happens is that some controllers tune out 121.5 until they hear something that sounds like a real emergency, and a few controllers turn 121.5 off because all the excess calls on it become such a distraction.

Now in Orlando and Tampa's case maybe they were waiting to hear a position report so that they would know if they should answer.

Mike

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 23:13
Mike - the guy was lost and was calling

"N*****, request assistance"

He did it three times, over a period of some five minutes before even I answered him. I asked his fuel state and if he knew how to use the transponder properly - as I was about to direct him to Orlando, Tampa came on frq. and told him to call Orlando Approach.

The call was his actual phraseology, "N*****, request assistance"