PDA

View Full Version : Hours in the US for a UK PPL

SteveQB
15th Aug 2002, 21:57
I'm a newbie to this forum because I am just about to start learning to fly for my UK PPL. I haven searched the forum for info on my query, and not come up with an exact answer. I also contacted the CAA, who came back very quickly, but just eneded up sending me a printout of the pdf I had already downloaded.

The question is: It seems that only 3 schools in Floriday do JAR training that is directly convertible to the UK PPL. My parents live in Kentucky and I was hoping to build up some cheaper hours when I visit for the US grand Prix in September. One answer I have seen seems to indicate a maximum of 10 hours FAA training allowable, then 25 hours dual control plus 10 hours solo in the UK (minimum).

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

Cheers

Steve

GoneWest
15th Aug 2002, 23:15
Steve - firstly, welcome to the forum.

It's a fairly straight forward answer - surprised nobody else has responded to you yet.

The experience requirements for the issue of a JAA PPL are 45 hours of flight time (to a suitable syllabus), seven written examinations, a flight test with an examiner (like a driving test - but in a plane), a flight crew medical and (normally) a practical test in radio procedures and phraseology.

The strange part is that only 35 hours of the forty five required need to be done under the training syllabus - the other ten can (legally) be done by any other means - anywhere in the world....even in other aircraft types, such as helicopters or microlights, etc. Having said that - it probably won't make a big difference to what you NEED to become good enough to pass all the tests.

Back to the plot - the mandatory 35 hours, the medical, the written exams, the radio practical exam and the flight test must ALL be carried out under the guidance of any one member state of the JAA. So, all done in France - or all done in United Kingdom - or wherever. Having a JAA medical issued in France, doing the 35 hours in Holland, the written exams in Germany and the flight tests in england will not count - ALL has to be done under the guidance of one member state.

Now - for JAA purposes - the various flight schools in Florida that are approved for JAA training are all classed (for want of a better word) as United Kingdom flight schools. So, you can do your flying, your written exams, your radio test, your medical and your flight test at any of the approved Florida schools, or at any UK school, or any combination of the two - as they are ALL classed as UK schools, and all come under the guidance of the UK CAA.

If you happen to be good enough to complete the entire flight training syllabus in the mandatory 35 hours (unlikely, without some external preparation) you can take your flight test - which wil last some two to three hours. This would leave a shortfall on the required 45 hours (for licence issue) of seven to eight hours. You can do these anywhere you wish - including Kentucky - but the Kentucky hours will NOT count as training towards your JAA PPL.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you want deeper questions answered - or post them here, somebody will help you.

BTW - the words "directly convertible", with regards to the hours flown in Florida is not really correct. The hours don't need to "convert" - they are already JAA hours, if flown at one of the CAA approved schools.

SteveQB
16th Aug 2002, 07:10
Thanks very much GoneWest for an extremely comprehensive answer, that is just what I wanted to know. Now I can do the 10 hours in September, and the rest back in the UK. Now I had better check with the school whether they are allowed to teach me as a foreigner.

Shame I can't do more in the US, $89 against £120 saves me a lot of money!

Cheers

Steve

Keef
16th Aug 2002, 08:48
Steve - you're a bit tight up to the wire to be able to have any flying lessons in the USA if you haven't already applied for your visa. You can't take flying lessons in the USA without one now (newish rules).

There's a thread on here about visas - the expert is Richard, from Naples Flight Center, who does a lot of JAA flight training in Florida.

SteveQB
16th Aug 2002, 12:19
Thanks Keef, I had seen the Visa thread but then not noticed it was more than 1 page with my BB settings. Difficult to know what to do, I will do the majority of my training in the UK, take my test here and I am really hour building, but I am at a fairly basic level. I think I will enrol in the UK before I go, get some basic lessons and then I will really be hour building in the US. Or maybe I should be sensible and apply for a visa......

Cheers

Steve

GoneWest
16th Aug 2002, 12:49
Steve - you may be missing the fine line between "legal" and "needed".

The 10 hours allowed "legally" in the US will probably be re-flown in the UK training system - it will not be a saving, as such, AND if you do the ten hours early in your course, you will have to be re-trained when you get back to the UK system - to get you out of doing what you have just been taught.

The FAA system and syllabus is different - and it will not get you through a JAA flight test flown in the UK (or, at least, it shouldn't).

Keef
17th Aug 2002, 18:36
BUT there are schools in Florida that are approved to train students for JAA licences. NAC is one, and I'm sure there are more.

But unless you have US citizenship, you need a visa (now) to do flight training there.

SteveQB
18th Aug 2002, 21:42
GoneWest, it sounds as if in your opinion that, apart from any enjoyment gained, I won't really gain any saving by flying in the states at all. In fact it would increase my costs.

Oh well......

Cheers

Steve

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 23:08
Steve - not if you are trying to do a part course - you could do the 35 in the UK first...then see if you can finish the extra ten in Florida (that would fit your financial desires and prove if you are good enough to finish in 35 hours)....OR, of course, do the whole thing (45 hrs) out here.

I wouldn't try to spli it between the two countries - I'm sure it would work out more expensive (but you would have fun).

Feel free to e-mail if you have any specific questions.

knobbygb
19th Aug 2002, 08:16
Steve, I'd still do a few hours in Kentucky if I were you. I have a VERY small number of hours gained in Arizona. I did this while I was only 10 or so hours into my UK training.

No, it probably didn't particularly help my triaining. Yes, it made it more expensive. Yes, it was definatley fun and worthwile.:cool:

Don't think of any time you do as hours building towards your license, just as a valuable and fun experience. Any time you spend in control of an aircraft is sure to be of some benefit and with family in the US, you're sure to do a lot more flying there in the future so it'll be a good introduction to 'how the other half live'.

One thing I would do is do 4 or 5 hours here first. You'll learn all the basic skills in those first hours and that would also be the time any bad habits will set in and I think it's important to start off properly, i.e. on the syllabus you'll be working to for the rest of your training. The 'training' I had was very.... 'different'.