PDA

View Full Version : Something BIG at Popham?

foxmoth
14th Aug 2002, 19:11
Flew past Pophan this afternoon and there seemed to be an aircraft on the ground that was a bit on the LARGE size for said field parked next to a marquee, can someone enlighten me as to What & why?

SlipSlider
14th Aug 2002, 19:26
'tis the South Coast Airways DC3. Since SCA's recent financial problems it has been parked at Popham. It arrived a couple of Saturdays ago, landing on 21 .... a delight to watch.

Evo7
14th Aug 2002, 19:50
I wondered what that was too - noticed it when I flew past Popham on Monday afternoon. Had a moment of panic when I wondered if I was in the wrong place, and was going to email Irv to ask... :)

Irv
14th Aug 2002, 20:01
Some people moan about not seeing Popham from a distance (look for the big wood!) so we decided to have a large 'x' on it - then we found it was cheaper to have a white DC3 parked there - same effect - you can now see Popham from miles away.

BUT - Something BIG is happening though - tomorrow (Thurs 15th) we are having the annual STARLIGHT DAY - basically taking kids for short flights all afternoon - the kids in question are the ones undergoing cancer treatment, long term illnesses, that sort of thing .They come along with their siblings on what some call a 'Wish Day' and we all have a great time - plenty to entertain them on the ground, plus as many short flights as they can cope with- all sorts of things going on - including many aircraft movements, parachute jumps, etc etc.
So message is - expect the 5 mile radius around Popham to be rather active!

SlipSlider
14th Aug 2002, 20:20
Evo, never ask Irv about aeroplane types, he can cope with "blue single" or "red twin", but beyond that.....:D

Evo7
14th Aug 2002, 20:47
So message is - expect the 5 mile radius around Popham to be rather active!

Useful info - was going to use Popham as a waypoint en route to Bournemouth from Wycombe tomorrow. It appears to only be NOTAMed as a PJE, radius 1.5nm, but I'll route north of Whitchurch. Knowing that will get me brownie points too... :)

Oscar Duece
15th Aug 2002, 08:03
But are you going to get paid for storing it there ?

From what I hear the person that is selling it, is the guy that used to run European flyers at Blackbushe. Raising one or two eyebrows in our camp.........

E & OE

skua
15th Aug 2002, 16:34
Goes by the name of Tony Holden. Saw him striding out of it when he arrived. I am told he owes a few people a few bob, so the Popham boys should not hold their breath for landing fees!

Taildragger
15th Aug 2002, 23:17
Yeah.... I was at the Guild Garden Party when it arrived.
Crew leapt out and virtually did a runner.!!
I think they managed to get out of Bournemouth by the skin of their teeth and Popham was an easy touch as far as landing fees were concerned. I am looking forward to the further saga of the Doug.

Irv
15th Aug 2002, 23:54
OD: But are you going to get paid for storing it there ?

I wouldn't know but i ASSUMED from the moment I saw it and knew why it was there that the answer is NO! (but I honestly wouldn't know!)

ps: We had a great "starlight" day - no incidents, good weather, lotsa happy kids .

pps:
Slipslider: I never knew all twins were red - Are they? (I assumed I was supposed to count the engines, but if it's true they are all red, that's a lot simpler - thanks)

distaff_beancounter
16th Aug 2002, 08:04
But are you going to get paid for storing it there? All operators of UK airfields, have a right to a lien on an aircraft for all unpaid landing, fees, parking fees, security, fuel etc, incured by that aircraft (or by any other aircraft with the same owner/operator). The airfield has the right to detain the aircraft, & ultimately can sell it, deduct what the airfield is owed & pay the balance to the owner. Presumably Bournemouth did not take steps to detain the aircraft, if any such fees were owed there.

At one small airfield (that shall be nameless) the operator has a good way of enforceing payment from light aircraft owners. He correctly tapes the legal notice of his lien, onto the aircraft door. He then parks a large yellow dumper truck in front of the aircraft. Then puts chains round the aircraft wheel struts, & padlocks them on. The other ends of the chains are padlocked to the dumper truck.

The owners usually seem to pay up shortly afterwards :D

I have just had a quick look at the CAA Register of Aircraft (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp) for the relevant DC3 G-DAKK & at the bottom left hand of the page of the search results, are 3 nice piccies of the aircraft.

So we will all now know what to look for at Popham.

For Irv, & others whose aircraft recognition is as bad as mine, that means a BIG white taildragger, with TWO engines :D