PDA

View Full Version : Branscombe?

140cherokee
13th Aug 2002, 09:44
Looking at an old half-mil chart (1999) shows an airfield at Branscombe in Devon. Does this still exist and is it open to GA? (not shown in either AFE or Lockyears). If still open, what's it like? how friendly, etc? any contact details? and most importantly, how far away is the beach?

BlueRobin
13th Aug 2002, 10:11
The PFA Devon Strut website may be able to help. Don't have the address to hand.

bcfc
13th Aug 2002, 11:01
Devon Strut (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/)

QDMQDMQDM
13th Aug 2002, 13:15
There was a big fly-in and vintage car rally there a couple of weeks ago -- good fun with 100+ aircraft in. The strip is long and thin, running parallel to the coast which means you can get crosswinds from sea breezes. Also, beware of mist. Branscombe can be fogged in, when Farway Common, just inland, is quite flyable. More details on the Devon Strut website.

The beach is a fair distance away downhill. Very pretty place, though.

QDM

Spiney Norman
13th Aug 2002, 13:49
The operator of Branscombe, (I think it was a Mr Thomas).Told me he'd withdrawn from the flight guides a couple of years back after trouble with the neighbours. Apparently this had been caused particularly by a visitor in an Arrow who did several low level approaches and go-arounds whilst trying to get in. The phone number used to be 0129 680 259 or 0129 780 259. I'm afraid I can't vouch for either of these numbers which I've got written down but haven't checked but worth a try. He seemed a very pleasant chap.

Hope this helps
Spiney