PDA

View Full Version : Circuit direction - standard phraseology

fireflybob
11th Aug 2002, 19:05
At a general aviation airfield which has an A/G facility where I instruct it is becoming the norm for the A/G operator to add "Left Hand (circuit)" after the runway designator.

The references that I have indicate that it is only necessary (at this type of airfield) to specify the circuit direction when it is right hand as the default circuit is always left hand, ie if the circuit direction is not stated then this means left hand.

I would be grateful for any references to standard phraseology in this respect.

Ayr_Man
11th Aug 2002, 20:16
Basically you can't trust all pilots to obey the letter of the law, -- no slur intended.

If you dont say "left hand" some pilots will decide they want to go right hand and dictate the circuit pattern for themselves without informing the tower ATCO, causing problems for other traffic in the circuit.

:)

Chilli Monster
11th Aug 2002, 21:57
As the books (and Vera!) will always point out - "All circuits Left hand unless otherwise stated".

However - it does appear to have crept into the phraseology. Have a read of Chapter 3 of the
CAP452 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP452.pdf)

CM

fireflybob
11th Aug 2002, 22:11
Chilli - as usual right on target - have seen CAP 352 also.

However, CAP 352 does not state that circuit direction is stated (at all!) when a/c asks for joining information.

I think Vera (as ever) is correct!

I feel a letter to the CAA coming soon.

FWA NATCA
11th Aug 2002, 23:33
Fireflybob,

I'll usually attach which direction to fly in the pattern just to eliminate any doubt in the pilots mind. Sometimes because of other traffic being vectored to the airport by approach I put pattern traffic in right traffic to make sequencing easier.

On another note, I've seen pilots vectored to the airport, to enter on a right down wind, call the airport in sight, be cleared for a visual approach by the approach controller, cross over to the left down wind to the surprise of both the approach controller and tower controller, this is especially dicey when a departure is just rotating.

Mike

GoneWest
12th Aug 2002, 00:22
FWA NATCA - been there, done that, got the T shirt.

I've wondered, for a very long time, about the human factors aspect of this problem.

When joining straight into downwind (particularly), it is very easy to put the airfield on the right when actually asked to join "downwind right".

I've seen it done dozens of times - and have to admit that I've done it myself (more than once).

Yes, I know about all the "rules of thumb", "looking at the direction indicator" and all that stuff - but it is (obvioulsy) so easy to get wrong.

There must be an element of human factors in there, somewhere, because so many people do it.

professor yaffle
12th Aug 2002, 01:54
you're quite right - as far as i was aware - unless stated the cct direction is always left hand - on the basis that the commander sits in the left hand seat - therefore easier for him to see when joining the cct

however - i always state the direction of cct - whichever direction it is to be sure we're all singing from the same song sheet!!! - and then there is no room for artistic flair in joining the cct!!!

as an aside - unless a direction of turnout is given on departure - then the turn will be made to the left for the same reason - so - you've guessed it - i always give the direction of turnout too even though it can sound like stating the bl**ding obvious !!!

prof
(artistic interpretation 1
technical 6!!)

fireflybob
12th Aug 2002, 09:21
Thanks for all those replies - most of which don't surprise me.

In the case of an airport where circuits are "variable" (as listed in AIP) then I might not be surprised to be given a circuit direction and I can understand the "belt and braces" philosophy.

My query is specifically related to airfields (in the UK) which are "non-controlled", ie A/G facility (Radio or Information) where there is a "regulated pattern" - ie most aircraft would normally fly an overhead join etc.

At an aerodrome where there is licensed ATSU where circuits are variable then I might expect to be told whether it's left/right hand if I have been cleared for a "commercial" join, ie direct downwind, base leg etc.

Chilli Monster
12th Aug 2002, 09:36
Bob

As usual discrepancies in the Doc. Chapter 3 page 2 omits the circuit direction. However Chapter 3 page 4 uses the left hand direction in the example.

Go on - write the letter. You know you want to :D

CM

Gaza
12th Aug 2002, 09:39
My query is specifically related to airfields (in the UK) which are "non-controlled", ie A/G facility (Radio or Information) where there is a "regulated pattern" - ie most aircraft would normally fly an overhead join etc.

This is down to familiarity. As someone who did most of his flying to/from large controlled airfields it was very easy to get used to being told what to do by ATC. I had a close call a few years ago when arriving at a unfamiliar airfield after a 3 hour flight from EGPH in a C172 I was a bit tired. I was initially told join overhead. Suddenly my mind went blank. I had not done an overhead join for about three years and even then I had only done a couple. I was then instructed to join LH downwind. I appreciated the latter comment as it helped me formulate the rest of my approach.

It may not be standard phraseology but I don't think using it presents any significant safety danger. In fact, I think it can possitively enhance safety.

fireflybob
12th Aug 2002, 10:09
Gaza - thanks for your comments - I presume the aerodrome in question had a licensed ATSU.

Operators of A/G facilities (Radio/Info) cannot issue instructions - I cringe when I hear them say "Join....etc" since they should only be giving information but perhaps this is straying from my original query!

Spitoon
12th Aug 2002, 15:53
firefly, I think you've just made the key point.

It's a while since I had anything to do with an A/G airport but as you say, the A/G person cannot issue instructions.

Unless there are ground signals to the contrary all turns should be to the left. Its a subtle difference but I would have thought that the A/G person could and should say 'the circuit is left hand' but nothing that might be construed as an instruction.

Getting away from the examples in the books - which can never cover every eventuality - the important thing is that both the people operating the A/G and the pilots using it understand the limits of the service and avoid R/T that may may be misunderstood.

fireflybob
12th Aug 2002, 16:33
>Getting away from the examples in the books - which can never cover every eventuality - the important thing is that both the people operating the A/G and the pilots using it understand the limits of the service and avoid R/T that may may be misunderstood<

Spitoon, from a pragmatic point of view I agree with you.

However, from the standpoint of RT Phraseology I see things through a different framework. The default circuit direction is left hand and therefore need not be stated and, CAP 452 apart, is not standard phraseology. If any pilot is not sure then he/she should ask as a part of normal airmanship.

canberra
12th Aug 2002, 17:46
this is a potential disaster. i have seen 6 aircraft attempt to land on parallell taxiways because theyve been told to land on 27 right hand. i must add that all the aircraft concerned were not british, but that doesnt matter. and it was at leuchars.

Spitoon
12th Aug 2002, 23:24
Ah canberra, I presume they were all military too. ;) ;) ;)

fireflybob
15th Aug 2002, 11:13
I thought we'd all be interested in the reply from the CAA Safety Regulation Group (ATS Standards):-

>With reference to your recent letter, the reason that the option of saying left or right is included in this document (also CAP 410 Manual of Flight Information Services and CAP 493 Manual of Air Traffic Services) is to show operators the options of phraseology which may be used in appropriate circumstances. It is considered good operating technique to state the circuit direction to reinforce this in the pilot's mind. For example where variable circuits are in use for helicopters, gliders or powered aeroplanes it would be prudent and reasonable to state which direction is in use. Another example might be where a right hand circuit is promulgated for the most used (westerly) runway but not for the infrequently used easterly runway - mentioning the left hand circuit can avoid trouble with the noise-sensitive neighbours.<

GoneWest
16th Aug 2002, 02:45
Does that go to prove my point??

Received a 'private mail' from a fellow Ppruner today, who pointed out that my "straight in to downwind join was actually correct - downwind right = airfield on right.

What I meant to say was that I have done - and have seen dozens of student pilots do - put the aircraft to the right of the airfield when told to join downwind right.

My latest example (of my own mis-deeds) was at Ronaldsway. North of the airfield, flying South along the coast of the Isle of Man. ATC instruct me to join downwind LEFT, runway 09 (Northside of airfield) - prat head here goes straight through the centreline to join on the left hand side of the airfield.

An alert radar controller twigged what was happening and stopped the departure of a Manx ATP. I went straight through the centreline.

Not clever - not funny. I've seen it so many dozens of times - but I'm blowed if I can think of a way out of the situation....unless the compass was used instead of circuit direction, i.e. "join North side of the airfield for downwind runway 09" - but I doubt that that will catch on.

Before you all scream, I know all about the "use the D.I. to work it out"/"draw a sketch of the airfield" - all that stuff - it just didn't work for me on the day. My fault entirely - thank god for another alert controller.

fireflybob
16th Aug 2002, 07:50
GoneWest - the simple answser to your circuit orientation challange is that if it is a left hand circuit you put the airport of the left of the nose (10 o'clock) and if it's a right hand circuit you put the airport on the right of the nose (2 o'clock).

When teaching circuit join I usually tell the student that if you you get this initial bit of orientation correct you are 90% there - get it wrong and you are screwed right from the start!

However, I don't see that this proves the point that ATC should state left hand circuit if it is - the default circuit direction is left hand unless stated (or unless "variable circuits" or right hand circuit is listed in the AIP) and if it's left hand then put the airport on the left when you see it and fly around with it on your left until you reach the appropriate point at which to join.

goddammit
21st Aug 2002, 17:13
The inclusion of "left hand" has been fostered to cater for the less able pilots out there, generally of the GA flavour. If it isn't included many seem unsure as to what they should be doing, often a result of being spoon-fed at their base field.
While safety is the bottom line, we should all be working to a common standard. They give atc big windows to look out of to check all pilots are doing the correct thing, and if the pilot has received adequate training there will be few problems. Perhaps the atco(s) who started this trend have forgotten that aerodrome control is not a procedural environment, but one where atc look out of the bid window(s).
I suspect there are a few atcos who add "left hand" to alleviate the necessity for adequate lookout! Nevertheless, we should be strivng to raise the level of GA airmanship, not creating difficulties by catering for the poorly trained who somehow get a ppl, helped by the "nice people" at eg?? who pass all their qualifying cross country and so create a rod for all our backs!!!