PDA

View Full Version : Help! Have to go around again!

AdamATC
11th Aug 2002, 17:27
To cut a long story short, I didn't pass the technical interview
but had a "near miss" (Is this NATS recruitment humour?)
and will be having just a second technical interviw in three months time - October.

The letter I received, 14 working days late suggests lack of preparation - I studied my as* off, learnt all that I was sent, I had a top controller up in Scotland post me flight progress strips and did so much research in work time I'm supprised I didn't get the sack! I was not asked any questions about the stuff that was sent to me, not a dickybird about VOR's, DME's or airway ceilings - not a single thing - instead I faced scenario after scenario.

If anyone has any advice about what I may be facing in a second techinical interview then I would love to hear from them.

Also if someone could throw some light on a querie - in my research I read that it may be possible to turn a pilot, briefly out of CAS but still offer a a radar service to him for the duration, in order to let another aircaft say around a thunder storm - on suggesting this in my interview the ATCO raised his eyebrows - any comments.

Thanks to all those who gave advise to get me this far, I shall keep you posted.

Regards
Adam:D

callyoushortly
11th Aug 2002, 19:14
Adam

Tough luck...... but best of British for the next one! :D Seems interesting to me that they're only giving you a few months and then straight back in for a second interview..... never heard of that before!!! But then what do I know!! :rolleyes:

As for the queries..... there's post after post if you search for them here about technical interviews, and also, if you look at the people saying they're about to join courses then they'd be good to ask.... (it's a while since I did them, so I'd best not advise!)

The question about outside CAS...... well.... It's perfectly legitimate for aircraft to be taken outside CAS, however, it's imperative that the commander is asked before doing so, as I believe that some company SOP's don't allow flight outside CAS. Otherwise, after asking, it's a case of warning them how long they've got to go to the edge of CAS, and then promptly changing the service to a Radar Advisory or Radar Information Service, as appropriate, on leaving CAS, and, then, ensuring that relevant traffic information, avoiding action, and terrain clearance are given as required.

I do hope this helps!!

5milesbaby
11th Aug 2002, 20:17
Adam, good luck for the next one. As Cally says you can take an a/c outside, as long as the pilots are aware, and accept the reduction in Radar service. As anything can be outside, its no longer possible to separate from ALL traffic as Mode C height info cannot be confirmed correct, and intentions unknown. I would expect the next interview to be similar to see how much you have studied up on what stumbled you the first time. This will show commitment and willingness firstly, and show your now more advanced knowledge. Senarios are used to show your application of what knowledge you gained from the material, and being able to apply it practically. Being quite decisive in your resolution is good, but also knowing when to back out and change the plan is needed. Seeing that every problem has more than one solution is the key, but don't be bullied into changing too quickly by the interviewer, this shows being easily led, expressions are a cruel way of doing this. Use this thread to get what you need, and try to get another visit to somewhere you haven't been before to ask questions, this will also go down well on your paper.

As its the technical only failed, I believe you can resit it once at the next set of interviews, if it was the personnel one, then the usual 're-apply in a year' comes into force.

professor yaffle
12th Aug 2002, 02:01
try going on visits to atc units ( nats and non nats)
even if you've been before this interview - go again and make sure you mention it!!
and feel free to ask any questions when you go

good luck!!

prof

(ps prob'ly best not to mention pprune either! the managment types don't like it and get a bit twitchy if its even mentioned!!!)

fly bhoy
12th Aug 2002, 12:35
Alright Adam?

I recently went for my technical (and passed!!!) and also wasn't asked much about DMEs or VORs etc. I was given quite a few scenarios as you appear to have been, but i had read somewhere before going that the ability to make a decision was important, but equally important was the ability to change your mind if alternative information comes your way.

As long as you remember that they're looking for someone who has the courage of their convictions, but isn't that set in their ways or stubborn that they will not take advice or change their mind. As mentioned before, don't be too hasty to just automatically change your mind to agree with the interviewer as it then looks like you don't have the bottle to make a decision yourself, but equally don't stick to your guns if you can see he has a valid point.

I argued with the interviewer for about 5 minutes before rememberring this and said "I can see your point of view, and under those circumstances I agree that would be the best course of action, but I still think my initial judgement was ok, given the information at hand". It shows that you're willing to listen to the advice and help of others, something I presume we'll need until we have years of experience ourselves!!!!

As long as you know the basics and remember that its also a test to see how flexible you are (and also how much of a team player you are) you should be alright.

Visiting a few other units can't hurt you either, although that seemed to have more bearing in the Human Resources interview in my case.

Hope this helps.

FB

5milesbaby
12th Aug 2002, 21:13
Fly Bhoy, I take it that by passing you've got a job???
If so, remember that no matter how much experience you have, you must ALWAYS listen to advice and get help from others, its what makes the job work.
Good luck to you both, and remember mostly, just enjoy it.

fly bhoy
13th Aug 2002, 07:09
5miles

Not got a job yet, just been accepted for the course (pending medical and references etc!!!), but I know that if I am lucky enough to get through it then i'll be relying on others for quite some time to get me up to their level. Having visited a few towers I realise that it takes more than just training to handle every situation!!

Looking forward to the challenge though!!

FB

Father Jack
13th Aug 2002, 15:24
ADAMATC

"I was not asked any questions about the stuff that was sent to me, not a dickybird about VOR's, DME's or airway ceilings - not a single thing - instead I faced scenario after scenario. "

If you think back to your ATC Knowledge Paper, you've already been asked about all the stuff that was sent to you, and the interviewer knows how you did in that.

He/ she is not going to waste time questioning you on areas you've already demonstrated your ability in.

As for the scenario questions, they're all fair game, and I cannot question any of the advice previously given.

Good luck next time.

FJ

:)