PDA

View Full Version : FAA commercial Question

long final
9th Aug 2002, 08:31
Can anyone confirm that I do not need an FAA PPL to take and hold an FAA single (complex) commercial license? And, if that is so, are there any problems re. post July 17 for me getting the instruction and rating in the UK?

I have inquired briefly here, and am led to believe that as long as I sit the FAA PPL writtens and the commercial (single) writtens I can conduct all the training and exams here without then need for a FAA PPL ( Validation? ), as it will be a stand alone commercial license.

I am lead to believe that this is the same for the FAA IR.

Any further clarification apreciated.

Regards
LF

a pilot
13th Aug 2002, 14:26
I think you will need the faa tickets,contact them,it seems that yr info is wrong but I M NOT 100% sure.

Julian
13th Aug 2002, 22:36
Before the restrictions about conversion of foreign licences you were able to just go down the FSDO and get an FAA PPL. Once you had this you could then add any FAA ratings/licences to it WITHOUT sitting any FAA PPL exams or flight tests.

I added an FAA IR to mine with no problems and I am part way through the complex endorsement.

Julian.

BlueLine
14th Aug 2002, 11:36
Your best option is to read FAR-AIM 61.121 - 61-129. It does not appear that you need a FAA PPL if you meet the training and experience requirements listed.

Not sure how you will get a FAA commercial test in the UK! It may be a bit of a shock if you have to go to the US to take the test and haven't flown there before.

long final
14th Aug 2002, 19:05
Blue Line, I think you are right ( after more reading )

The answer to the examiner question is that one is flown in periodically to test a group of people - thus cutting the costs.

Thanks for the replys.

Best Regards
LF

weasil
15th Aug 2002, 02:17
To apply for an FAA commercial you MUST hold a US Private License already. No exceptions.

Julian
16th Aug 2002, 13:49
You must hold an FAA PPL but if you can get one issued off the back of your JAA one so you dont need to sit any exams, flight test, etc.

If you want to do any FAA ratings in the UK there are a few instructors (I use one in Norwich). If you wish to take any flight tests in the UK then you have to book a 'roving' examiner who visits every couple of months.

Julian.

long final
16th Aug 2002, 19:09
I think its getting clearer now, but not totally. FAA tell me that I must have an FAA PPL. I don't believe that this can be a validation PPL now though, because the FAA are restricting adding any other rating to a validation. This would mean me sitting the written exams and having three hours with an FAA instructor and sit the FAA skills test to get my PPL.

I THINK that my prospective school had an agreement with thier 'roving' examiiner. That being, if the PPL writtens had been completed, he took your CAA PPL and 250+ hours as good as a FAA PPL skills pass.

But I stand ready to be corrected.

LF