PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Instructors

C.A.
4th Aug 2002, 03:59
Hi Guys and Gals,
In Oz at the moment but contemplating move to States to instruct or chater. Done a bit of research but still struggling to find out if any companies will sponsor for a work visa or if you have to get it on your own and how much drama it is. Have a few relatives over there in diffeent states but unfortunately i dont think they are the correct relatives to get a visa if you know what i mean.
Also a word on how busy schools REALLY are over there and how much they REALLY need instructors. Instructed here for a couple of years now and know how everyone always talks it up so a truthful perspective would be great.
Anybody with info would be helpful. Thanks
CA.

mattpilot
4th Aug 2002, 04:37
well, your chances of getting a work visa are slim. The rules are that only professionals who are not in abundance and are absolutely crucial for the company may get work visas for up to 3 years (no more after that). That being said, the only place were pilots are important and are not in abundance is in alaska.

The reason the US doesn't let you work (in fact, this applies for every other country too) in their country is because they wouldn't want you, the foreigner, to take a way a job position for an (lazy) american. seems reasonable enough, i guess.

What other options do you have? Green card. Well, i've lived here half my life, and they wont even give me a green card - well, i've spent my entire teen years here - but they say "Rules are rules". So how can YOU obtain a green card? easiest way is to marry a US girl :cool: . Next "feasible" option would be to invest 1 million into the US economy and employ at least 10 americans for over 2 years. There are a few other options, but a lot tougher then the previously listed :mad: . As you can see, i've looked into it. And let me tell you, your best bet is to win one, or marry a US girl (or man) :eek:

... looks like i said a lot more than i wanted too.. oh well :D

clear prop!!!
4th Aug 2002, 08:59
Hear what you say Mattpilot

However, this has been raised before without a conclusive answer and hopefully we can get the definitive answer on the following.

1 US schools now need to employ JAA Instructors if the are to teach towards JAA PPL issue. There are, and will continue be (due to cost) very few US citizens who hold a JJA FI rating. Ergo, an ‘immigrant’ would not be taking up a job that could be done by a US citizen. Is that not the case?

2 If the above is correct. What would a JAA CPL/IR FI have to do in terms of FAA licences if he were to seek employment,...only to teach JAA?

3 What are the Job prospects?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic with regard to Oz instructors C.A.

Thanks

mattpilot
4th Aug 2002, 19:59
1) you have a point - didn't think about JAA - I suppose you would qualify

Find a potential employer and get him to fill out a form. To quote from an alaskan webpage

"Once you have a job offer, your new employer has to fill out paperwork with the Department of Labor and the Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS). It takes 90 days to be approved. Once hired and approved, you apply to work through the consulate. Thereafter you can work in the US for three years. After that you need to be a permanent resident. Follow this link for more information:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/immstatemp.htm "

Dont know what to really say on the other points.

C.A.
5th Aug 2002, 02:12
Its all relavant Clearprop, dont worry about that.
Yeah Mattpilot, so far that was as far as i got but if you dont have one then i think im pushing S*** up hill, so to speak.

Thanks anyway guys and good luck.

Oh and by the way it would definately be marrying a girl!

Limey
7th Aug 2002, 21:48
Any FAA instructor can do a very quick check ride and be signed off by a JAA school to teach JAA syllabus. Only valid for that JAA / FAA school but that it all that is required.

Johnny 7
13th Aug 2002, 16:31
Hmm ,

Not so for approved commercial instruction I'm afraid - a course of standardisation would be required first . In addition , there are also differences between FAA / JAA syllabus : At least some training would be needed even for PPL instruction .