PDA

View Full Version : Flas

fourthreethree
30th Jul 2002, 22:23
How do you chaps in Swanwick N.Sea/Clacton sectors feel about the FLAS in operation between yourselves and us in Maastricht?

Personally I have no problem in calling each time, but the reactions are becoming more and more blase, as if you are getting fed up with being asked for approval each time.

What is the purpose of this? If it is a FL share between us and Copenhagen, what about traffic Northbound on the UA37 (as was)?

Like I said, I don't have a problem per se but I do feel its a waste of our time and yours. Maybe someone can enlighten me, or alternatively add fuel to my argument.

fourthreethree
31st Jul 2002, 23:56
Cheers TM, I guess that just about backs up what I thought. One other query though, is there any logic to the additional level ie FL310 which is available to us, with prior approval? Isn't that just a normal approval request for an ODL?

Also, we were informed that the whole procedure was only intended to be a short term thing. Any idea how short is short?:cool:

nats
1st Aug 2002, 20:51
TM,what fun and games?

G-SPOTs Lost
1st Aug 2002, 22:58
From a fledgling Upper Airspace IFR Pilots point of view, you chap/ess's just speak in code :D

Fascinating though.

Whats a FLAS??

AyrTC
2nd Aug 2002, 06:03
FLAS Flight Level Allocation System

If I could draw a diagram it would be so much easier:eek:

Consider two busy airways/routes crossing /converging at the same point/beacon.At peak times only certain flight levels are available on each route.eg

Consider a N/S route (lets call it Upper Vermillion 1) which crosses a E/W route (lets call it Upper Lemon 2) at point C.The sector which is controlling point C will make arrangemments with the sectors/units which are presenting traffic to him/her as follows.

Northbound traffic on UV1 will be allowed to fly at FL 310 330 350 and westbound traffic on UL2 will be allowed to fly at FL 320 340
360.This cuts down coordination.As you can see it is a little bit like intertwining your fingers and when it is done properly all the a/c come out the other end safe dumb and happy
:eek:

I hope this explanation makes sense(It did to me after I read it twenty times :confused: )

AyrTC

ps There will not be any fun and games for me over the North Sea next year 'cos Im dropping the validation :D :D :D

G-SPOTs Lost
2nd Aug 2002, 18:22
I was losing it until you came up with the "Intertwined fingers" analogy. Souinds like very hard work so.....

thanks for that........ errhmmm.. I'm off back to instructing and paradropping :D ;)