PDA

View Full Version : Griffon Crash

ericthehalfab
20th Jul 2002, 02:25
To Jules,
All of those that have known you have lost a great friend. The CF has lost a great pilot. I hope you're somewhere great right now...

Air Force mourns death of Griffon pilots, survivors in hospital

By Holly Bridges

5 WING GOOSE BAY - It was with heartfelt condolences that Brigadier-General Paul McCabe, Commander of 5 Wing Goose Bay, announced on July 19 that 444 Combat Squadron pilots Captains Colin Sonoski and Juli-Ann Mackenzie were killed when their CH-146 Griffon helicopter crashed approximately 80 kilometres northwest of Goose Bay.

Injured in the crash were Flight Engineer Corporal David Pawulski of 444 Squadron and Search and Rescue Technician Sergeant Mario Michaud from 439 Combat Support Squadron, Bagotville. At press time, Cpl Pawulski was in stable condition in hospital while Sgt Michaud was reported in critical condition.

The crew was returning from a cancelled search and rescue mission when it lost contact with the Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax. The downed helicopter was later spotted in a wooded, hilly area by another CH-146 Griffon tasked to search for it.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all family and friends," said BGen McCabe in a news release. "A full investigation will be conducted by Canadian Forces Flight Safety officials."

In a statement from Ottawa, Defence Minister, John McCallum, and the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Ray Henault, expressed their shock and sadness upon learning of the incident.

"This tragic event reminds us all of the courage and dedication shown by Canadian Forces members as they serve so selflessly here in Canada and around the world."

The Commander-in-Chief of the CF, the Governor General, Adrienne Clarkson, who recently visited SAR personnel at 5 Wing said, "Search and Rescue personnel risk their lives always, but they do so with skill and knowledge. To help save the lives of others, they take calculated and informed risks. We admire them for their courage and sacrifice."

The Chief of the Air Staff and Commander of Canada's Air Force, Lieutenant-General Lloyd Campbell, shared in the sentiments expressed by the Governor-General, MND and CDS. "On behalf of all Air Force personnel and their families," said LGen Campbell, "I extend my most sincere condolences to the families and friends of the deceased pilots, and offer my best wishes for a prompt recovery to the injured crew members."