PDA

View Full Version : New English Language Proficiency Testing

A320_jockey
19th Oct 2017, 13:29
Part of new GCAA requirements:

Mandatory Requirement 4:
On or after 1st January 2022, Holders of UAE licences endorsed with ELP 6 shall:
a) have their English Language Proficiency re-assessed by an approved ELP TO; and
b) provide such evidence to the GCAA
unless their English Language Proficiency has already been assessed by an organisation authorised by the GCAA.

jack schidt
21st Oct 2017, 05:15
I was in the Audi recently with a fellow colleague (South American) and we both politely went back to reading the GABI on our screens as I apologetically told him that I just couldn't understand what he was saying, no matter how hard I tried.

I was actually rather shocked that the company has this gentleman employed in the cockpit. Now, I am not an ELP examiner of course, but I wouldn't put his proficiency past a 2 at best (random words and the "gist" of the conversation was how the understanding of our conversation went).

J

5star
21st Oct 2017, 05:29
JS,

Don't know when you last shared a company car but in an audi??? Really, that must have been what: 8 to 10 years ago?
Better not post after a night turn....

Icarus2001
21st Oct 2017, 10:31
https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/background-information

In the real world the whole point of ELP6 is that no further testing is required because you are native speaker status.

If EK want to re-test it must be because they know some of the staff who have ELP6 should not really have it? Would ICAO have given them a hard time about it?

White Knight
21st Oct 2017, 12:45
I was actually rather shocked that the company has this gentleman employed in the cockpit

Same with a chap I flew to HKG and back with last year! Couldn't understand a word he said most of the time. Got a chance to practice my Spanish though!!!

my salami
21st Oct 2017, 14:14
I personally flew with two chaps( one from U.K. and one from U.S) who had level 5 reported on their license..
I've also witnessed a Canadian Captain who couldn't understand his Scottish F/O who ,in turn , couldn't understand New York ATC..

Very funny to watch👍

MS

Kobus Dune
21st Oct 2017, 17:08
Since I have seen on a couple of occasions American pilots who could not understand each other - and also when British ones were involved - I'm totally delivered of any feeling of guilt.
Problem is that a lot of those "native-English speakers" are also the ones with the less education, and strange as it might appear, they often have a limited vocabulary or grammar, so totally missing some points - and therefore blaming the other guy for the misunderstanding...
A colleague from Down South was obviously understanding "free gate " instead of " frigate " - until I realised that he probably didn't know what a frigate was.
There is a reason for the word "articulate" to be used inside the English-speaking world - somewhat synonymous with intelligent and educated ..... and remember, with a 200-words vocabulary, it becomes so easy to speak fast.... without even mentioning writing abilities.
But it so good to enjoy that little feeling of superiority towards a colleague doing the job in a foreign language, something that 99% of those ones would be totally unable of ...
Educated people are in any case always easier to understand and to communicate with - somebody eating 50% of his speech will not impress me, either in English or in any other language including mine.

Panther 88
21st Oct 2017, 22:44
Kobus, we bow to your intellectual prowess. Must be dizzying on your high perch with the lack of oxygen.

The Outlaw
22nd Oct 2017, 00:36
dunno wh' all th' fuss is about, I mean c,mon... dude man!
like nobody can be level 6 man thats like rocket siense an cuz pilotz is smrt or somthin...far out

an cuz punkuation an grammr an kapitals an stuff is a lot of work.

Dude....

nolimitholdem
22nd Oct 2017, 01:00
Sorry Kobus, but being a Level 6 Arrogance speaker doesn't compensate for being a Level 3 English one...:cool: