PDA

View Full Version : AW139 Sim Instructor Seating Positions

JulieAndrews
21st Jul 2017, 08:34
Of all the increasing number of 139 FFS operating, would appreciate a quick survey of which sim has what number of Instructor Operating Station seats - or at least the ability to cater for those watching over the shoulder.
Makes sense to have to be strapped in for FFS and trying to develop a training/examining plot for 'checkers' checking 'checkers' training pilots.....
thanks in advance

ZFT
21st Jul 2017, 11:31
This is an interesting question.

Whilst the European FSTD standard is "two suitable seats for the instructor and an additional observer shall be provided permitting adequate vision to the crew members' panel and forward windows” , the Compliance has a get out, namely “The competent authority shall consider options to this standard based on unique cockpit configurations” so dependent upon which authority initially qualified the device and even which auditor could indeed result in differing configs.

gulliBell
21st Jul 2017, 12:07
CAE3000 has 2 rear seat stations, instructor and observer. 4 seated people is a full load whilst motion is active. I don't know about the Thales sim. Most sims have video cameras for remote viewing.

Max Contingency
21st Jul 2017, 12:38
PWN Malaysia, one instructor seat at the IOS and one seat fixed to rear wall for totally under qualified Authority examiners to sleep in.

Non-PC Plod
22nd Jul 2017, 07:48
Yes the 3000 series machines have space for 3 in the back, although I would not agree that they all "permit adequate vision to the crew members panel and forward windows"! Extra seat useful for translators maybe.

Geoffersincornwall
22nd Jul 2017, 21:03
Concur absolutely. It is impossible to see the pilot flying's hands from the IOS seat if you are strapped in. It is necessary to ensure that the pilot is using the various trim functions correctly.

Observing the flying pilot's facial expression I also consider an essential part of managing the workload effectively. Whoever designed the 3000 series I bet he was a fixed wing man. He certainly never worked as an SFI/SFE. As for certification protocols - that's joke number two.

G.

gulliBell
23rd Jul 2017, 00:43
..It is necessary to ensure that the pilot is using the various trim functions correctly...

It's usually self evident when the trim functions aren't been used correctly. Especially the force trim release which should be electrified so they get zapped every time they try to use it!

Non-PC Plod
23rd Jul 2017, 08:03
There is definitely a conflict between health & safety, and doing the job effectively. The holes in the knees on my overalls are testament to how much time I am strapped in the iOS seat!

JulieAndrews
24th Jul 2017, 03:24
Thanks for the info - all v useful.
I like the idea of the CCTV facility - anyone know if cctv available at Leonardo/Cesto?

albatross
24th Jul 2017, 16:42
PWN Malaysia, one instructor seat at the IOS and one seat fixed to rear wall for totally under qualified Authority examiners to sleep in.

Funny, cruel, but funny!

Non-PC Plod
24th Jul 2017, 18:27
No real-time CCTV. Its a big issue for privacy laws in Italy, so also makes it awkward recording sessions for subsequent viewing on the debrief station.

albatross
24th Jul 2017, 21:28
No real-time CCTV. Its a big issue for privacy laws in Italy, so also makes it awkward recording sessions for subsequent viewing on the debrief station.
Jeez...what do you folks get up to in Sims in Italy?