PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Go-arounds

Only A Few More Seasons
12th Jul 2002, 21:19
Is it now policy for ATC to instruct Pilots to turn left hdg 180 when GO-AROUNDS are ATC initiated on 26L?

It is happening more and more - not a bitch - I just wish I knew where this procedure was promulgated as our approach plates state in the event of a Go-around "Climb ahead to 3000' then as directed by ATC" I reckon its quite reasonable for a crew to expect to do just that. yes there are occasions when for safety deviations from standard procedures are required but:

I witnessed a Speedbird 737 this morning about 0605z being given the instruction by ATC (just as a low Go-around had been initiated by ATC) "on reaching 500' turn left 180" (I bet the residents of Crawley were not that amused). The cause of the Go-around was a Citation type being very slow to vacate the runway, so it was not a case of a Go-around Vs a/c taking off with high ROC type conflict.

I know life is hectic in the Tower at LGW now more than ever with Min R'way Occ Times, staff shortages and all that, believe me, my colleagues and I are on your side - but please give us a clue.

Muppit
14th Jul 2002, 16:14
As you rightly state, the procedure is straight ahead to 3A; but we will need to turn you out of the way at some point to get things moving again, particulary in IMC.

We have the authority to turn an aircraft going around onto any heading between the runway QDM and 170. We are currently trying to educate some ATCO's that 180 is NOT the best heading to use. It upsets the pax, increases pilot workload and seeing a plane flying down Crawley High St. tends to draw questions from the Daily Mail news desk.

All that is needed is a gentle 45/50 degree turn away from the runway, and only then when the aircraft is established in the go around and flyable. It keeps any vortex away from the next departure, turns you away from the climb out path, and stops the Mail selling papers!

New controllers coming into the unit are taught that a gentle turn away, so long as provides separation, is considered best practice. Its not a new procedure, just a cultural thing that we're trying to address.

However, if you are given a screamin' arse turn to the south which you feel wasn't totally justified, please feel free to bitch about it, particulary to the Watch Manager on duty!

As for the turn 'when passing 500 feet', if the controller thought such drastic action was needed, surely the phrase "Avoiding Action..." should have been in there too?

:cool:

pushapproved
14th Jul 2002, 18:41
Going around?

For environmental reasons straight ahead is best, but when a turn is required, (very handy if the go around is a heavy), any turn to ensure separation will fly over some part of Crawley. If you can suitably react quick enough to a go around situation, a turn to the south a couple of miles from touchdown would theoretically fly over the less populated parts of Crawley, plus you get quite a few less track miles to make another attempt to get on the ground again. During the night or early morning, I personally wouldn't turn aircraft south unless it was essential to safety. Generally though, I'd say if there is a departure just airborne ahead of you, you are most likely to get a turn.

Happy landings! :D

professor yaffle
14th Jul 2002, 19:01
i would suggest that at most airfields you will get some sort of turn before reaching 3000feet,
don't forget either the one on climb out ahead or the one on a tight slot (is there any other kind!) at the hold with another inbound bearing down, and turning the go around aircraft will mean the controller can carry on operating.
maybe the reason for the sharp turn here was traffic ( maybe a v slow dep ahead of the citation?? just a guess)

if you ever have a problem query etc most airfields are happy enough to take a phone call from the pilot after landing

prof

Only A Few More Seasons
14th Jul 2002, 20:50
If the straight ahead to 3000' is now no longer workable then lets get it changed.

What should I brief then?

How about straight ahead to 500/1000' then as per ATC instructions maybe.

Please don't forget that most FMCs are programed for the published G/A. I reckon as in the case I raised 500' with all and what else is going on during a low level G/A this is a bit too soon to start rescheduling the automatics.

As I said before this is not a Bitch I am just raising the matter to make all our lives a little less exciting.

tired
16th Jul 2002, 09:20
Only a Few More Seasons - why exactly do you need to reprogramme the FMS to fly a go around? If you do have the autopilot engaged, then most aircraft have this thing called a "heading knob". Pulling that and turning it to the appropriate heading will have the desired effect. Once you've cleaned up, run the checklist and sorted out what you're going to do next, then PNF can get down to reprogramming the kit if needs be - not before.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2002, 10:12
It really frightens me a bit that everything HAS to be run automatically. In the event of an emergency is it not possible to hand-fly modern aircraft?

Eli Vator
16th Jul 2002, 10:32
HD - I would argue that the safest way to accomplish a low level go around is to use the autopilot if it is still engaged when the manoeuvre is initiated. In the latter stages of an automated approach, certain autopilots apply varying amounts of trim. Although it shouldn’t, reversion to manual flight after the application of such trim has proven to catch out the unwary.

However, I find Only A Few More Seasons apparent preoccupation with the FMC during such a critical stage of flight somewhat disturbing. It is a relatively simple thing to press the TOGA (take off go around) switch and use “Heading Select” to execute a timely and safe missed approach.

Whalerider
16th Jul 2002, 15:43
ONLY A FEW MORE SEASONS

The most important factor is likely to be what is airborne just ahead of you. For instance, if it is a Dash 8 turning early left - YOU WON'T BE GOING LEFT !
For this reason the go-around instruction will often vary from the 'standard'.

Happy flying

Only A Few More Seasons
16th Jul 2002, 23:20
R.T.F.Q

Once again its not a bitch or the use of Automatics.

And thanks - Muppit