PDA

View Full Version : Chanses of becoming a flight instructor

orninn
10th Jul 2002, 00:23
I recently finished my CFI rating, does anyone out there know what the chanses are of geting a job as one in the nearest future?:confused:

mattpilot
10th Jul 2002, 00:54
in the US? extremely good :D Infact, statisticly more people joined the part 141 school i attended after 9/11 then before. Meaning there was more interest in flying.

in Iceland? no clue :cool:

orninn
10th Jul 2002, 09:09
ok, but that's not open for european pilots, is it? You nead to have the green card etc.

Field In Sight
10th Jul 2002, 09:30
You said you had a CFI rating, not a FI(R) rating.

Where are you?

mad_jock
10th Jul 2002, 23:49
CFI = FAA
FI= JAR

MJ

orninn
11th Jul 2002, 08:36
ok sorry FI(A) rating. I'm in Europe.

IRRenewal
13th Jul 2002, 21:53
Surely if you apply for any job spelling does count....

luvly jubbly
14th Jul 2002, 06:25
Not great at the moment. Many of those who have been looking for airline work for the past year or two have now decided to do the FI(A). Until the airlines hire again, there ain't gonna be many posts opening up for instructors in the UK.

orninn
14th Jul 2002, 17:09
ok, not what I wanted to hear but still, thanks

mattpilot
14th Jul 2002, 18:45
i dont know the regulations over in the UK or europe as a whole, but if i can't find a job as an instructor i might as well try to build some time and offer free instruction. Not as good as "getting paid to fly", but good enough to build time.

AllTrimDoubt
14th Jul 2002, 20:33
Not good if you fly as well as you spell!

STATLER
15th Jul 2002, 08:33
mattpilot

When you have built your hours instructing for free are you then going to buy your own type rating and then prostitute yourself to the airlines by working for free. You must be desperate vvvvvvvery desperate.

orninn
15th Jul 2002, 09:50
AllTrimDoubt, I am sorry if I offended you with my spelling. Where did you get the idea that I fly as “well” as I spell? Are these two linked together in any way you know of, because if that is the case I would seriously have to look in to that.

Orninn

Field In Sight
15th Jul 2002, 11:33
Poor spelling might affect your memorised checklists if you mispell the Mnemonics :D

mattpilot
15th Jul 2002, 16:45
@statler

you misunderstood.

If i couldn't get a flying job, and instead would have to flip burgers at MCD or do some other job that is not related to flying, i'd at least try to build time instead of doing nothing. Only 5 hours a week will get you over 250 hours a year. Dont you think thats one step closer to a flying job?

Lets say a potential employer looks at your logbook and looks at what you've done the past year. What will look better, 50 hours of recreational flying or 250 hours of instructing? He doesn't know you weren't paid, and if he would, what difference does it make?

rotorrookie
25th Feb 2003, 05:20
Is this forum a spelling contest.Dont think so. WE ARE NOT writing CV´s here, so alltrimdoubt and other "einstein´s out there the guy has english as second language.. SO give it a rest

he is propably better pilot than u anyway

Leave the profanities out, or leave the discussion.

Scroggs

aardvark keeper
25th Feb 2003, 08:29
MATT PILOT

flying for nothing wont go down well in the FI world, it only encourages schools to pay poorly & you wont make many friends.

The best way in is take up a part time position, which many turn down for want of a full time position, be patient and respect the guys already in, before long you will be a full timer

Mister Geezer
25th Feb 2003, 08:37
Visit flying schools/clubs near you and ask in person if there is a chance that they might be looking for people. It is the only way to find out.