PDA

View Full Version : 757 Pilots/Feedback?

GalaxySam
9th Jul 2002, 18:32
I'm transitioning to the 757 in a couple months. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone whose flown 757s on how well they like the airplane compared to others they've flown. (I've heard landing can be a little bit squirrelly compared to other jets) I anticipate that I'll love the new airplane. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Leslie
9th Jul 2002, 19:32
Light E4 engine derivatives will take you to the moon!
Landing is fine once you get the hang of it. Listen for the 30ft call out and count 1000,2000 and then put in a flare of about two-three inches - THEN slowly take off the power. Boeing recommend that the Thrust levers should reach the backstops just as the main wheels touch down.
One trainer taught unofficially to put a smidgeon of power on as you go in to the flare. Can help as long as flare is started around 20ft. Certainly helps on the 767 - even the autoland does it!
The most important thing is to try for a stable approach. Drive for the aiming point and control the speed precisely. Keep going for the aiming point until the flare when you look to the horizon and try and fly towards it! Just like any aircraft really.
She is the best looker on the circuit at the moment to boot.
Brakes are fantastic.
I'd take a 75 anywhere!
Enjoy yourself,
yours aye,
Leslie

Tight Slot
9th Jul 2002, 20:33
Its bloody great!!!! No messin around searching for that extra 10kg or so like on the A320. It goes off at a de-rate take off power from most fields, at high weights. Empty to FL410 in 15 mins can't be bad either....

Lots of power can have a down side though, watch out for the "low level alt cap", that can make the seat a little sticky.

And no table to eat your din dins, argh well just listen to those RB211's

Enjoy!

Brenoch
9th Jul 2002, 23:20
It is literally the flying dream..

I´m sure you will enjoy it..

The only yhing it can't do is descend and decelerate..(at the same time)

I'm smiling every day as I head off to work..

expedite_climb
10th Jul 2002, 08:45
oh yesssssssssssssss......

shlittlenellie
10th Jul 2002, 09:38
Everything said above is absolutely correct. I suppose the only factor is what you are transitioning from. The 757 has ample power and it is extremely rare to be faced with any performance issue. My company will be replacing them in the coming year and I will definitely miss what is the most beautiful aeroplane.

Landing is tricky at first, although it is a very responsive aeroplane and needs to be flown on. Most machines are equipped with rad-alt calls down to 10' and it is just below 10' that a definite flare should be initiated, remove the power and it touches down consistently softly and in the right place, watch out for the nosewheel crashing on as it can need a fair amount of back pressure after mains touchdown. It handles well in a crosswind provided that, like any swept-wing, de-crabbing is accompanied by sufficient aileron to prevent wing lift; although the gear is designed to cope with removing a reasonable amount of crab on the runway and that is generally recommended for your first few crosswind landings.

It is a slippy aeroplane and three times the height + 10 miles works well as a descent check, watch out for anti-ice use in the descent as it will lengthen the descent profile distance markedly, tailwinds can help too! If high on the profile, use the speedbrake earlier rather than later and preferable at higher speed where it is more effective; don't leave it until final or else it simply will not slow down.

The 757 isn't as stable as the 767 whilst being hand flown and needs a little more watching, although in saying that it is a delight to fly and is a rewarding aeroplane to disconnect early and fly.

The main thing I remember from my transition course was the pitch coupling effect of the powerful underslung engines. Advance the power and it pitches up significantly from level flight, and vice versa. This has to be watched since the magnitude of the change is unexpected at first. You will become used to co-ordinating pitch changes with power changes. Levelling off at 1500' in the circuit on base-training just needs a bit more forward planning than you might be used to.

Basil
10th Jul 2002, 10:12
Keep the power on through the flare as previous posters have said.
Pilot Induced Oscillation (PIO) in roll can sometimes be induced by over-activity on short finals - just freeze on the ailerons for a second or two and it will damp out.
Very nice machine; I preferred it to the B767 but some others preferred the 76.
From the LHS you get a very fine view of any comely wench in (I seem to recollect) 2D :D

Have fun!

wysiwyg
10th Jul 2002, 20:50
How can you not have fun with 32,000hp!

GalaxySam
11th Jul 2002, 03:07
Thanks everyone. I sincerely appreciate the words. I can't wait to begin training.

Brenoch
11th Jul 2002, 11:19
What do you jock now??

TheFlyingDJ
11th Jul 2002, 13:07
I'n not a pilot yet, but know from good sources that the 757 is one of the nicest aircrafts to fly. RB211's are very nice to hear, as well as the PW2040's. Seen loads of circuit flying with that plane.
Everything said here is true.
One day, i will be at the controls of that powerful machine :)
cheers

Happy Training GalaxySlam!
Hope u get to do the exam in Brunei!

eng1170
11th Jul 2002, 15:21
Worked 75's in hangar and just as good as when they're flying, had plenty jumpseat trips into LHR/GLA (some in very unpleasant conditions and left in no doubt that the machine handles well from a pilots perspective!! I was left in awe)

If you require some visual stimulation to boost your excitement
check out the pic's of G-CPEV departing ABZ in crosswind on
"airliners.net" (I love these 2 pic's soooo much!!!) ENJOY, and good luck,

Eng

aztruck
11th Jul 2002, 20:06
CPEV's in my logbook!! I miss the 757 and so does everyone I know that used to fly them. I did base training in one out of Shannon and my jaw was still scraping the floor on base to final after the first take off.....those side windows...its like looking down from a very fast lift...cor.
Just watch it when they clear you straight in No 1...your'e at fl200 and anti ice is needed all the way down on an E4. It can get very interesting. Oh yes, in addition to agreeing with everything that has gone before, and I apologise if someone's already said it, you have to let the nosewheel down kind of g..e..n..t..l..y.

TheFlyingDJ
12th Jul 2002, 07:21
Very true aztruck,
i have a part on video where a trainee does his first landing and he nearly knocked off the nosegear :)
sounded like a carcrash ... instructor yelled, eeeeeasy with the nosewheel!
comes down very fast i guess

McD
12th Jul 2002, 17:09
I'll again second (or "third" or "fourth" ;) ) those comments about the nosewheel after touchdown.

It's very discouraging to make a nice mains touchdown, and then have it quickly offset by the crash of the nosewheel. (Not to mention that your economy passengers think you have done a great landing, while your first-class passengers think your landings stink :D )

However it's important to caution that when the aircraft is very light (on a ferry flight or a short flight w/light pax and cargo loads), the nose may actually tend to pitch up (!) after touchdown. In those lightweight cases, if you are applying the "normal" (nosewheel-slam preventing) back pressure, you can be quickly surprised .... whoa nelly!

But to echo everyone else, it's an incredibly wonderful machine. A joy to handfly, and the power (especially for a transport aircraft) is extremely impressive!

Crazy Pilot
12th Jul 2002, 22:53
757 pilots

I haven’t a clue how the 757 flies, but I run an event call world flight all in aid of children in need, could do with some 757 pilot help, I.e. flying the sim :)

If you would like to help please pop by www.world-flight.org.

BTW does any one have a copy of CAP371 and could tell me the hours that pilots can fly?