PDA

View Full Version : PPR Calls

tacpot
9th Jul 2002, 11:55
In a previous thread Romeo Romeo rasied an interesting point about PPR calls.

I have a checklist of things to ask when I call for PPR, and wanted to asked if there was anything that people would want to add to this list:

When I call for PPR I:
1. tell them who I am and where I'm coming from and then I ask for permission to fly in.

2. if I get permision, I tell them the type and reg of the a/c I'm coming in, and give an ETA.

3. ask for details of:
the Weather (unless the a/f has a published METAR)
the Runway in use currently, and the circuit direction, and any impending change to these.
Parking arrangement (if these are not clear from the AIP entry)
Any noise avoidance procedures
Any unusual activity on the a/f during the day

I usually forget to ask about landing fees, but will add this to my list from now on. Is there anything anyone else would add to this?

sennadog
9th Jul 2002, 12:09
Good list. The only thing that I would add is the type of join they prefer. Given my novice status I prefer to join deadside but at some airfields this is not possible (Redhill as an example) and at Rochester and Southend I was asked to join downwind so that is worth including when asking about the circuit direction.

Also be clear about whether your ETA is local or zulu time - I got a bit confused on this issue.:D

Kirstey
9th Jul 2002, 13:12
Remember at an AFIS such as Rochester you should be asked "How do you intend to Join" the decisions is ultimatly yours despite what they "suggest".

Also at a field with full ATC, unless an overhead join is specifically not allowed the ATCOs will try and accomodate you. Southend are particularly good at this.