PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

goldwing
7th Jul 2002, 01:47
I am looking for my first flying job. I have CPL, multi-IFR, float rating, 470 hours. Willing to relocate anywhere in western Canada, Yukon, or Northwest Territories. I am hoping to start on anything but believe C182, C206 or C207 would be place to start.

I am looking for any words of wisdom that could be offered to a 49 year old changing careers. I have tried the traveling road show, but only able to talk with one CP. Previous careers include parts and computers.

Thanks

schleprock
7th Jul 2002, 12:11
Hi there!

You probably had no idea of what you were gettin into did you! :confused: Don't get me wrong, I've been flying now for 13 years and there is nothing else I would rather do. I have recently been hired by WestJet. I worked for about 9 other employees prior to that including CanJet, Canada 3000 and Inter-Canadian. However, it's been a long hard road.

The travelling road show. Yep, been there done that! 14,0000 Kms in two weeks. I too talked to one CP. I think my best advice to you would be to get yourself an aviation directory to start with and if you have access to a fax maching, fax the companies you are interested in a resume. That will most likely be all of them! Follow that up with a friendly call shortly afterwards just to make sure they received your resume alright and then that will give you the opportunity to ask them if require pilots and if so maybe you could speak to the CP if he or she is not too busy.

No offence, but with lower total time, that is about all you can do for now. Just be persistent and call them back on a regular basis to make enquiries. Once a month would be sufficient otherwise you will just PI$$ them off!

Best of luck to you and keep the blue side up!

Schlep

goldwing
7th Jul 2002, 15:01
Thanks for your advise. I have been using Transport Canadas Air Operator web site at www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/ActivePages/AirOp/default.asp to get a listing of the operators as well as the A/C that they fly. No sense sending a resuime to an outfit that only has Citations or 737s.

Richard

francine
7th Jul 2002, 23:27
Hi goldwing. I still havn't figured out how to PM someone on this forum ...but send me a message if you do, I might be able to help.

cheers!

McDoo the Irish Navigator
11th Jul 2002, 10:51
Schleprock....
Send me an e-mail.... [email protected]

I'm curious as hell about something.

McDoo

goldwing
11th Jul 2002, 21:31
francine

It appears as if I am also unable to email you. Could you send me an email at [email protected]. I would like to see what you have to say.

Richard

francine
14th Jul 2002, 15:19
check your private messages goldwing :)

just noticed the option on top of everyone's post :rolleyes:

Mark James
14th Jul 2002, 19:57
Yo goldwing,

There are basically 4 streams:

1- Get Hired into the right seat (preferably turboprop/jet)
2- Work in the bush flying floats/skiis. (get lots of PIC)
3- Flight Instructing (Ok for about 1,000 hrs)
4- Military

I am roughly your age, and have been flying since 1975. I am closing in on 12,000 hrs.. I get asked this question frequently by people starting out in this industry, and inevitably I give them this answer.

The number 1 way to success in aviation is: Perserverence.

Don't let someone try to step on yr dream. From time to time when you get thrown a curve (there are lots of curves in this industry), pick yourself up, dust yourself off . . . and get back in the race!

Cheers,
Mark

goldwing
15th Jul 2002, 00:24
Thanks Mark for the words of encoragement. I am using Transpost's web site to find operators that have machines that I believe I would be able to start on. Most of them are in the north and that is why I got my float rating. All be it the seven hour special but that is something. I am also contemplating getting my instructor rating at a site that has connections to a charter operator. I figure this way there may be a pull of the existing instructors so that when I get the instructor rating I may get hired on.:) The military would be out I am sure due to age.

As you are aware there is something about flying that makes it a passion. I am not looking to get on with airlines. I hope to work my way to a corporate job but would enjoy most flying opportunities including frieght. I know I have the skill, experience and training to get a start in this industry.

Thanks much Mark
Richard

cleartoland04
15th Jul 2002, 12:06
Hello Goldwing,

I know this is not exactly in Canada but it seems that there are a lot of opportunities for international pilots in...Alaska (see thread in the "wannabes" section).

http://www.flyalaska.com

Good luck anyway, I will be in your position sometime in the next 2 years!

Clear http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/natur/natur12.gif

walkertonio
16th Jul 2002, 22:03
aaaaaaaargh 19.95 $

justcurious
14th Aug 2002, 20:18
While Alaska has a great deal of aircraft, and a little more flexiblity in hiring, preference will always be given to Alaskan pilots then US pilots, and a very distant third, foreigners possessing a skill not found in US pilots. Usually that skill is cash to invest in the lodge they will be working in.

Something to bear in mind is that the Alaskan bush (well, the Rocks and Tundra) tends to eat a lot of airplanes each year. It requires above average map and terrain-reading skills , as well as a degree of handiness not normally found in the average flying club member.

The scenery is nice, but try not to become part of it.

Spiraldiver
16th Aug 2002, 22:31
Goldwing:

First, I would suggest changing your handle to Tin or Balsawings, it's all you'll be able to afford for the first few years.

I too, joined up late in the industry, at 30. I'm 34 now and the guys call me "old man". The industry is hugely ageist. Most operators want low-timers to be young, so they can take advantage of them while they're still eager and stupid. You might have the skills, but you will present a threat to most CP's because you are experienced enough, in life if not in hours, to call BS when you see it.

I did the trip, met many CP's, and a number of them said flat out that I was too old to consider hiring. (pass me my cane, I need to go get my pension cheque) I got lucky in the end and was hired onto the right seat of a turboprop. I certainly don't regret my decisions to get here, but the getting here was tough. The first job especially so.

Good luck, hope to see you up there.

Dockjock
17th Aug 2002, 04:31
Pay of course increases with experience, so when you have little, you get little.

goldwing
19th Aug 2002, 02:01
Thanks for your comments Spiraldiver. I choose the handle because I am unable to fly as much as I wish so we bought a Honda goldwing to afford some travel. I find that a lot of pilots I know are also into SCUBA and motorcycles. How did you come up with your handle Spiraldiver?

I have started my instructor rating. There is the various discussions about the usefulness of instructing but one thing I am finding is that it is one thing to take instruction and be "spoon fed" and another to learn how to teach others. I suppose that all class 1 instructors have their own teaching styles but I am finding that a lot is left to the student instructor to develop their own style. It is strange that the training of pilots is often left to the inexperienced pilots who have just received their commercial license then their instructor rating. Whereas in more scholastic learning it is the old dog that takes up the challenge.

I am driven to get into aviation by one means or another and I have the support of my family to make it happen. I know that anything is possible and there is nothing wrong with instructing.

I know that I will get up there, it is just a mater of timing.

bisaya
21st Aug 2002, 13:13
i am a 2000hour flight instructor from the philippines... what then are my chances of landing a job there? will flight instructing make me survive and get a life there in canada? im thinking of migrating there..